Mac recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fjs08, Jun 25, 2008.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I currently have a Mac Book Pro that will be 2 yrs old in Nov.
    I've been thinking of upgrading to a newer version of the Mac Book Pro but I'm not sure if there is anything in the more "modern" Mac's that are worth spending the money for... or if anything is coming out that may be worth waiting for.

I had a Ti Book before this and I must say I liked that Mac more than my current one. This one crashes daily. I find it difficult to hook up with my wireless ISP's, it seems very slow to load apps, etc. All the software is the latest, greatest, constantly upgraded and updated, so I'm sure it's not that I don't have an up to date machine. It runs very hot at times, the hard drive just runs and runs... at times. Today, it's quiet and cool. I don't know!

Anyway, I've been thinking of just getting a new Mac. Hopefully, the above problems aren't becoming a common scenario with any Mac. I've been using Apple II's and Macs since the 80's and have loved them. But this one has me wondering .

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank

2. taoski macrumors newbie

The new range of Macbook Pro machines have an improved display, bigger hard disks, more RAM and faster CPU as standard - but the guts are pretty much the same.

I guess you may not have updated to Leopard - so you would get that too.

Perhaps a nice "wipe clean" and start afresh would be best with your current model? My standard Macbook which is also 2 years old gets a little slow after I have downloaded large files onto it ;) but I have only had to wipe it once - and that was a last resort after I updated it to Leopard and had problems.

It would be worth cleaning it down first and installing as little as possible. This would allow you to isolate if it is a software or hardware issue that is giving you grief.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>I guess you may not have updated to Leopard - so you would get that too.<<

I have OSX 10.5.3, which I believe is the latest Leopard update.

>>Perhaps a nice "wipe clean" and start afresh<<

Like clean off the entire HD and reinstall EVERYTHING??????

Frank

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yep

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Maybe you could post your current specs, that might help in determining if an update would be needed/provide a greater improvement.

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Maybe you could post your current specs, that might help in determining if an update would be needed/provide a greater improvement.<<

Is there an easy way to find them, like they might be on one screen???

Frank