Mac refuses to start up. Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watabou, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Hey guys,

Long story short, my mac refuses to start up after I restarted. All it shows is an Apple logo and a spiral loading thingy that went on for about 15 minutes.

I tried to put my Install CD in and I remembered I can archive and install. I think that will probably fix it. But I just wanted to make sure if there are any other things I could do...
    And does archive and install preserve everything from my music to safari bookmarks?

Thanks.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not sure if it will help, but, unplug it, take the battery out. hold the power button down for 15 seconds, then put the battery back in, plug it back in and restart. couldn't hurt to try

3. James Cole macrumors 6502

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Usually failed HD is grey screen with ?, or am I thinking of something else?

5. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Nope. It recognized my withdows 7 partition fine and started it up.

And jon, tried that method, didn't work.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Did you try putting your Disk in and doing a permissions repair? Sorry for the different things, just trying to figure it out before suggesting an archive/install solution

7. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

It doesn't give me that option. Where do I find it?

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, not to be completely unhelpful here. When I put in my Leopard disk and hold down C to but to the disk, once you click past the language box there should be a menu bar that comes up, it's under disk utility. But I am not sure if you don't have a Leopard install disk and only have the disks that came with your machine originally if the same thing comes up. very sorry, I know this might not be helpful.

9. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Archive & Install.

Fortunately the archive and install is not at all complicated and you pretty much pickup where you left off when the process is over. It will surely be done way before you figure out what is going on with the hard drive and how to fix it, in order to avoid the archive.
    My guess is that you had a software update fail. My 2¢ :D

10. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

You are being very helpful. Its just me being stupid. I totally ignored the menu bar. I'll try disk repair. I'll see how that goes and post if that works or not. Thanks.

EDIT: Repair didn't work. I just archived and reinstalled. Worked. It's all back to normal. Thank you Apple for that option! Thanks for the help.