Mac Registration

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Minty200, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Minty200 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just bought a mac laptop and registered with my own name, but having burned off CD's have found when I play them, my name is embedded in the meta data when viewed on wmp or. I would like to change the registration details to another username, does anyone know how to do this?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

What did you burn to the cd? Music? Files? What metadata? I'm sure you could create a new user account if you like. Moving user accounts on OS X can be a bit of a pain. The new account can't see the files from the old account. You might be able to rename an account but the home folder might keep the same name it had before you renamed the user. I tried swapping accounts one time and decided it was a huge waste of time. I resorted to creating a new account instead. I made the new user an admin. Then when logged in as the new user, I picked the directories of the old user and did "get info" then went to permissions. I set everything to be readable and writable by the new account and applied to everything underneath. It worked.

Before you go to all that trouble, create a test user account. Log in as the test user and burn the same cd and see what meta data shows up in windows media player for the new cd. If you are burning music from within itunes, it doesn't surprise me if your name ends up in the metadata someplace.

3. Minty200 thread starter macrumors newbie

They're mp3 music files that were created in Garageband. After exporting them to CD, I burn them onto a disc and play it back on my PC in Windows media player, but in the lower left it shows my full name that I registered on the mac. So am trying to rename it, but not sure how to do it.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can just edit the MP3 tags using something like iTunes or Tag.

5. Minty200 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you I'll try going into tag editor and see if I can change it.:D