Mac released next week?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I/wanna/mac, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I/wanna/mac macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for several months now to switch to a macbook, i heard the rumours on this site that it would be released september time. I know there is the expo next week where :apple: will update many of their product lines all i'm hearing though is about the small fry ipods, do you expect the macbook update next week or at a later date?
    Help

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

September is iPod month. I can't see them releasing them at the iPod event.

3. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

I think many of us think its either going to be announced Sep 16th or sometime during Oct.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Right now, the only person who knows the answer to that is the incomparable Mr Jobs himself. The rest of us are guessing, (remember, this forum is called Mac Rumors, not Mac Fact). However, an Event planned for next week seems to certainly mean iPods will be updated; it could mean something more, or that the computers will be re-modelled/updated also. Having said that, many on this forum seem to feel that computer updates may take place a few weeks later. We shall wait and see.

Cheers

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Why have you waited several months? Why are you still waiting? There will always be an update or completely new machine at some future date, and NOBODY knows when that might be. Buy it if you need it (or even if you just want it).

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Many original thoughts were that it would be released at the same time as the iPods in September, but now it looks like that it will not be at the same event. Some are still hinting that it will be a week or two after the iPod "Let's Rock" event.

I believe that since the rumored MacBook/MacBook Pro update is supposed to be so major, that Apple will hold it off until MWSF '09 to unveil it, and then release it to the public for purchase by mid-February. I also see them updating most of the Mac line at this time to some degree. And if this is the way that Apple will do this, then there will probably be a small update within the next 6 weeks that will probably be a spec boost at most.

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Yeah but Montevina is a good indication that they'll update the laptops soon. The next iteration that's based off Nehalem isn't for another year..

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Although most July/August rumors pointed to September, more recent rumors appear to point to October. We could see another event on October 7 or a slient update around that date.

Features-wise, rumors do not seem to diverge from the original redesign and aluminum MacBook rumors in April 2008.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

I accept this reasonable poetic licence (same as saying "The White House says" or "Parliament Hill responds" says..... when we all know its the people inside who are doing the saying and responding....). However, if you consider all the other people who must also know, its quite amazing that we don't get more leaks out of Apple. Who does know... a partial list, off the top of my head:
    Steve Jobs (of course)
    All the affected department heads, and their assistants, and staff
    The people who designed the stuff
    The people who design the packaging
    The people who design the ads
    The people who are setting up the shipping
    The accounting people
    The person who is designing the presentation
    The people putting together the press kits
    The people making the stuff

10. astudentis macrumors regular

dam it!!! i was hoping it was gonna be this coming tuesday they would release the MACS!!!! OMG, i cant wait, i need to complete so many applications for different schools for next year, and school work too... i NEED a laptop, BUT I WANT THE NEW REDESIGNED ONE!!! AHHHHHHHHH

WHAT ARE U DOING :apple: ... STUDENTS DONT CARE ABOUT IPODS RIGHT NOW!

11. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

lol,i feel your pain son... just wait or ask a friend/family for an old computer to use for the time being

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Buy one right now then, you should never live under thinking that they will always release something new later and wait for that, because you will always be waiting.

Apple never said that they are going to be doing a complete redesign of the MacBook line, they never said that there will be a spec increase; people have just been speculating on Apple's usual way of doing things, and small details that have been discovered. For all we know, Apple planned on next updating the MacBooks in September of 2009, and is going to stick to that plan. Maybe the next one won't even be redesigned, maybe the next update will just be a spec boost. In your scenario where you need a computer, you should just get one, it makes absolutely no sense to wait this out. The current MacBook line is well suited for one's needs, sure it won't be as good as the new ones, but there is nothing about it now that should prevent you from buying it.

And Apple is sticking to their usual habits right now, and so what if they "don't care about students," students are not their only customers, and their primary focus will ALWAYS be for the best of the company, while attempting to satisfy the needs of their customers at the same time. Apple never had to do the iPod promotion, they chose to do it because they care, want more business, and probably because they want to clear their inventory for new products.

September has basically been reserved for the past 3 years as the iPod month, and probably will stay that way for a while. If it works, why change it? It is a smart move for them business wise, as it gives new products for the holiday season, while giving the products a few months in the wild to sort out the problems and to build up popularity of the product before the buying really starts.

From a business point, it always makes sense to plan your upgrades to be right after a period of major sale (college computer purchases and holiday purchases are the big two), that way you clear out your shelves of the old products to make room for the new. If you leave nothing planned for after a major sale period, then what is going to drive the sales? late-September, October, and early-November are slow sale periods, they will help to boost sales by having new and improved products then. That is why it makes sense to have new products in slow periods, and "older" products/products that haven't seen major changes during high business periods. July, August, early-September, late-November, and December are high activity for Apple in means of business, you have students buying laptops for school in the first three, and people buying Christmas gifts during the later two. We will also see Apple deploy a similar tactic during January through June, when business isn't exactly booming.

This can be completely expected from Apple as Apple cares about their company's well being first, after all, why shouldn't they, if they don't, then their business fails and we get NO new products.

Just my $.02, and if you are going to read any one bit of my post, make it the last 3 paragraphs (not including this one), that is where the main focus is.

--JML

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

omg im in huge pain right now :mad: :(
    ive been waiting since MAY :crying:

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, no offense man, but that's pretty stupid, and it's entirely your own fault. See someone else's post a bit up the thread for a more completely explanation.

jW

15. astudentis macrumors regular

Apple should care about students! (THEY ARE THEIR BIGGEST CLIENTS, have any idea how many students have macs arround campus these days :confused: .... for ever PC i see 4macs at my school!)

Also there is something wrong with the computers right now that is preventing my purchase! I want the MBP, a good one. I dont want to end up buying an "older" model with FAULTY NVIDIA CHIPS :eek: and have to repair it later.

16. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Now is a great time to buy with the ipod promotion, there is nothing wrong with the Mac that are available now.

17. elpenguino macrumors member

I agree. The thing most people are banking on this revision for the Books is cosmetic changes anyway. The performance probably isn't going to be light-years past the current version.

18. astudentis macrumors regular

cosmetic changes are always a nice welcome... but 8600 NVIDIA chips are still a problem

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Am glad i bought my MBP In June, instead of waiting :D

20. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Hate to burst your bubble, there, but why should Mac preach to the choir? Their new target is the business world - the sales channels are all gearing up with biz-centric ads.

21. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I'm not planning on a purchase until next August/September but I still get excited before events and when product refreshes come out. If the MBP's are updated by next year sometime, I know when I will make my purchase.

The only problem I will have then is iMac or MBP? Oh the joy!