Mac reliability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Foggy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Is it me or is it a bit rubbish? So far in the last 2 1/2 of years I have bought:

Macbook Pro Number 1 - bought refurb and the trackpad didnt work so had to send bac
    Macbook Pro Number 2 - replacement for above, logic board went and had to go to apple to be fixed
    Macbook Pro Number 3 - Bought when they went to Santa Rosa, has a Geforce 8600 graphics card in it which went to pot so had to go back to apple to be fixed
    Macbook Pro Number 4 - bought for one of my employees, has had faulty display and also gone back for the 8600 graphics card issue
    iMac - Started making random clicking noises, hard drive went kaputt all within 3 weeks of purchase, returned to apple for repair
    Mac Mini - bought when Macbook Pro number 3 went in for repair as a backup machine so I could keep working, 2 days ago has started getting very hot when being used and randomly turning itself off so I am going to have to take it in to the Apple store to get it repaired.

I love OS X and love the hardware Apple shove out, but in the 2 1/2 years since I switched I have had a 100% failure rate. I am now having serious doubts about getting Mac Pro's when our linux development machines need swapping out.

Anyone else had this kind of level of problem?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

'tis a bit rubbish...

The quality of Apple hardware of late is leaving a lot to be desired, but it does seem you've been especially unlucky.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Generally speaking, Quality Control has slipped a substantially in the entire electronics industry. Some of it is also bad design, but not as significant IMO. Failure rates are exceeding 10% from data I've been able to find.

But your experience is way out of proportion. :(

For the most part, the MP's seem decent, but the threads have their share of problems. That said however, if they're going to be used heavily, and OS X isn't an absolute requirement, other options might be better for reliability reasons. Then there's the added possibility of on-location warranty service options.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Holy Crap!

The quality has fallen sooo muuuch in the last 3 years but thats incredible.

My first mac, the original first gen macmini has NEVER had a problem, surprising for a first gen maching.
    My intel macs have been good, but have had problems.

But this is bound to happen, supply for macs has increased.

My way to stop this:

Average computer user looking for a computer to facebook on? Save your self some money and don't buy a mac. Save it for the people who appreciate computers that work, good design, and maybe want to start doing media work. That way apple can turn into the little ppc company we all used to love :p

-Omi

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have the two mac's in my sig and I don't have any of the typical problems with them that anyone states on the board with the exception of my whitebook hinge not being the tightest thing... if it gets bad, that's what my applecare is for...

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I disagree. I haven't had a single hardware error in over 4 years. In that time I have had several white MacBooks, several white iMacs (G5 + Intel), 3 aluminium iMacs, and now a uMBP 15". All of them have performed flawlessly, and not developed any serious hardware faults over years of usage.

The only single occasion that I wasn't happy was with a 20" iMac display which had a colour cast. I got it replaced a day after I bought it and that was that.

I've yet to have a hardware problem with any iPod either. My iPod mini is still going strong.

David

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My beloved PPCs have been fantastic for about 5 years. I bought my mum a MacBook in February and my sister an iMac in March and both have been rock solid; but now I'm nervous :eek:

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I think it is mainly the notebook line with flaws now.. never owned a portable PPC to be honest.

-Omi

9. lamadude macrumors 6502

I've had a (refurb) white macbook that

-showed cracks in the plastic near the palm wrists
    -suddenly switched itself off
    -suddenly the battery lost 80% of its capacity in a week, this happened exactly 1 week after my 1 year applecare had expired
    -my hard drive died, right in the middle of writing my thesis, I had back ups but still lost some work

I threw the computer out and decided to give apple one last chance, I bought a 15" macbook pro in 2008, and got a 5 year warranty on it from my apple reseller (this is not applecare, it's from that store and covers pretty much everything: accidental damage etc).
    -So far I have had no problems with my mbp, fingers crossed

10. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I saw an article recently saying that the plastic macbooks are apples worst quality computers ever, and from experience I have to agree. People are suing but apple fails to cave.

Your new one should be fine (lets hope)

-omi

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'd believe that. I've never seen a single one which didn't have cracking, which is a joke.

My PPC iBook hasn't given me a single problem in almost 4 years. Parents are about to buy an intel mini, I'm hoping for the same standard (my dad's shaky about the mac transition as it is)

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Mini is one sturdy little thing, don't even try to open it up :)

13. Igantius macrumors 65816

Out of interest, did the article have any numbers to back that claim up? There’s a lot of Macs that would fight for that particular honour – the eMacs, for instance, had very cheap components and many suffered with discolouration of the scene in one corner. The tech editor on a magazine I was at when these were launched practically received death threats over commenting about this (which he said didn’t matter for the intended education market, but others should be aware)… funnily enough, a couple later wrote back to apologise about their earlier comments and said that after buying one of the machines, wished they had listened to his advice.

Of course, the MBs have been fantastic sellers for Apple and the amount of complaints will have a lot of to do with this.

14. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

15. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

My two Minis (first gen PPC and first gen Intel) have also been rock solid and performed without a single flaw for the last 4+ and 3+ years, respectively.

With my Apple Laptops I've also had a good experience in general, but did have a few minor problems.

16. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

Well as you can see by my sig, I have had this MB for a little over a year (My first Mac) and absolutely LOVE IT! To this day I haven't had a single problem with it hardware or software. Also no cracks. Foggy it seems that you just had ridiculous luck on getting lemons! I have 2 more years on Applecare and hopefully from here on out it is just like the first year and have no problems.

17. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I started with an APPLE in 1981. I have had a whole lot of Apples, and Macs since then, including MacBooks. I have never had one problem with any of them. I was careful not to drop them or spill fluids on them. I have a new iMac 24 " 2.93Ghz, an iPod touch 16Gb and a Mac Book 13".They are all working as advertised with no problems at all. Am I just lucky,or am I even in the minority? I don't think so. People use this forum to get info from others to solve problems. The forum works very well with very knowledgeable people helping out those who have less experience. This skews Apples appearance of quality control since we are only hearing from those with problems. Thanks to all of you who work so diligently to help the rest of us. I makes our computer life so much more rewarding.:)

18. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I have some of it is apples fault some nvidia's

Macbook white 4 hds and 2 top cases before being replaced with glarebook. replacement no problems other than the glare.

macbook pro 15 gforce issue, keys popping off, fan, hard drive failure all since mid january.

macbook pro 17. purchased when 15 was being repaired. gforce issue 4 times in a month left io board replaced with a unibody.

Iphone turned it off then when i turned it back on it showed a globe and itunes logo. replaced in october no problems since.

19. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Wow you've had a lot of bad luck. I've possibly been lucky but so far I've had no issues.

20. butchseaman macrumors member

butchseaman

21. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Most people have only heard of Macs in the last coupla years, apple the brandname maybe a couple more. But thats only because of the popularity of the ipods back in the 90s.

Thus their perception of user quality of apples products is rather diluted. if that makes any sense, its a pain! Even 3 years ago the user perception of the mac line was alot better than that of today! :( tis a bit sad really!

PTP

22. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Of the Apple stuff I've owned:

Good...

Powermac 7600/132 worked great, hard drive died after a year
    Powermac G4 Sawtooth ... amazing machine
    Powermac G5 (Rev B) ... perfect

Bad...

iPod Shuffle 1st gen .. died after just a few minutes of use
    Applevision 17" Monitor ... died exactly 1 year later
    MacBook (2007) ... case needed replacement, isight died after 1 year, logic board replaced, constant bluetooth issues, keystroke issues and USB issues, worst quality computer I ever owned.

Okay...

Airport Express .. Generally works but sometimes locks up forcing to restart my modem, router and the airport express