Mac remote desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BiggAW, Aug 14, 2010.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I use VNC around my house to access computers remotely. While I can access my Windows machine from my Mac, I am having trouble accessing my Mac from Windows in a reliable fashion.

I am now using VineServer on the Mac and TightVNC on the PC, but after a while it will become unresponsive, and require frequent re-connects and refreshes.

Apple's Screen Sharing is amazing running from Mac to Mac, but I don't have an extra Mac for downstairs at the moment. Is there a way to access OSX's built in screen sharing from a PC? Or a better server for Mac or client for PC that will give better connectivity?

Bandwidth is not an issue, I can manage 250mbps+ between the two computers over Gigabit.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Isn't Apple's Screen Sharing just a VNC server? What happens if you enable Screen Sharing on the Mac and then try to connect with TightVNC (or any other client)?

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I think it may be, but I can't find any instructions online about how to connect to it... i.e. what port, user name and password and such...

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

port is 5900 by default, I think. Try a valid user name from the Mac and the associated user password.

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I just got it to work using the "Allow VNC users to connect to this computer" option on the Mac. It's still really laggy, but I'll see if it is stable... I don't really care about the lag, all I'm doing is IM and occasionally opening iTunes just to run it's server.

6. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

The amusing part is that it send both of my monitors, which ends up with a lot of scrolling, but it doesn't really matter, I can just keep all the windows on the right side of the main monitor.