Mac Repair accuses of liquid damage, trackpad button and LCD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gado-Gado, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Gado-Gado macrumors newbie

Hi,

The trackpad mouse button on my late 2006 black MacBook stopped working (the trackpad worked fine) and I brought it to an Apple store for repair. The repair depot claimed that I had spilled liquid on my laptop ("on LCD and bezel"), and requested permission to charge ~$700 to repair unidentified components, which I denied. I have never spilled anything on my laptop, and would have noticed if someone else had especially on the LCD (screen?).

Has anyone else had a problem before with repair depot claims/accusations of liquid damage that you know did not occur?

Has anyone else had a problem with the trackpad button ceasing to work?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Could have been done while the machine is closed, and dripped inside the bezel. (yes, water can climb walls if the distance between them is small enough). Ask for proof of the liquid damage in the form of pictures from Apple. I'm not sure what their policy is but they should be able to provide that. There are cases where plastic/metal warping that can give off the appearance of water damage.

Hate to say it, but you wouldn't know it if someone close to you spilled something on your $1000+ machine because they would be absolutely terrified to tell you, and they would have done their best to clean it up before you noticed. At least I know I would.

Trackpad can stop for mulitple reasons starting with crums to technical/mechanical malfunction or liquid damage.