Mac repair shops in London?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CrackedButter, Nov 21, 2009.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

My friends Macbook logic board has given out, its not under warranty and Apple want £500 to fix it and it'll take 4 weeks to do.

Anybody know other Mac repair centres in the London area? I am googling but if anybody has any experience it is welcomed.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If he's fairly technically inclined, he could purchase a replacement logic board either on eBay or from somewhere like www.ifixit.com.

On ifixit.com, replacement logic boards for pre-unibody MacBooks are $350-550USD, depending on model/revision/processor (£210-£335'ish): http://www.ifixit.com/Mac-Parts/MacBook-13"

Unibody models are considerably more expensive too!

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It is more economically feasable to remove the hard drive from the dead machine, buy a used machine in similar condition(craigslist), put old drive into new machine, and sell old machine as broken(ebay)

Things sell cheaper on craigslist than on ebay, thus the distinction. It would cost him less and be less work this way.

That's why I don't offer logic board replacement if I can't fix it, because it makes no economical sense.

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Thats fair enough but she isn't technically capable, I am but I don't want to do it. She is considering buying a new one however because of the steep cost of fixing the current one. Thanks.

5. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

6. 92jlee macrumors 6502

If she is going to sell it, I'd be interested, I've fixed a few "logic boards" in my time (why don't they just call them "mother boards" now that intel make them like any other pc?)

7. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'm not sure how long out of warranty it is.

She found a company that will fix it for £320-£360 with 1 week turn around, she's prepared to do it, rather than buy another. If she changes her mind I will let you know, she will be amazed that somebody would want to buy it.

There is a good case to buy a new machine but she is a foreign student so money is tight. I feel sorry for her because she doesn't know much about computers and yet I've been all over mind upgrading it, removing the optical drive and leaving 13 screws out in the process with this sucker still going strong. Oh well.