Mac Repair Websites

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mkelner223, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mkelner223 macrumors newbie

Hi all, my MacBook Pro (15", Unibody, late 2008) fell onto tile floor from about 4' last year, and there was some damage to the top case in the form of a dented right front corner. At first, there were no issues, but now problems seem to be developing. The left fan and the hard drive both make amazing noises (I am a longtime mac/macbook owner, and these are not the usual overactive fan noises or anything like that).

I took it to an apple store, and was told that the repair price for a top case is US $900, which is much higher than I can afford, so I took to the web. I have been looking for websites for repair companies to send the computer to, have it fixed, and then sent back. On forums, people seem to argue over whether applecare will cover anything, or whether to pay the premium to have it fixed vs. DIY with iFixit.

To be clear, I understand that applecare will not cover the damage as it was an accident, not a defect (also, I already asked them, and they said no). I understand that adding it to homeowners insurance would have been a good idea, but I didn't, so that's out too. I might consider iFixit for more simple repairs, but the repair manual for the top case has convinced me that I will break something if I try it.

What I'm looking for is some recommendations for repair companies. Preferably, they would be Apple Authorized Service Providers, but I would still be interested if they are not. I think a list of these companies, and your reviews or experiences about them would be very helpful. Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If yuo've already decided to shell out the money for the replacement part + labor from a repair shop, you should just google "Apple authorized repair shop in [your geographic area]."

3. mkelner223 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I live in an area with no AASPs around me. Also, I thought that perhaps the prices would be lower on the web, although I'm not sure about that.

4. -tWv-, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

-tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Did a google search and this place was the only one I could find where you could send your mac in for repair if there wasn't a location near you. Called iHospital

http://theiphonehospital.com/repairs

They claim to have a quick turnaround with repairs, and use OEM parts.. I have no idea about the reputability of this place, if you don't like it then I would just search around on google and see if you can find anything else, I'm sure there are more similar places.

As far as I can tell, iHospital would be a fine place to send your mac, I am just not sure about their pricing etc.

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles