Mac restarts after shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ADacome24, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ADacome24, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

ADacome24 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So recently my stock battery went kaput, and I bought a new one (this one). Since installing the new one, I have been having problems shutting down my machine. Everytime I go to shut down, the computer will boot down but immediately turn back on as if I told it to restart. The only way I have been able to prevent this from happening is to wait for it to restart, and then hold the power button for 5 seconds... but this is a hassle to do every single time I turn off my computer, so I need a fix.

I've tried everything in this thread, and nothing has worked. Could it be the new battery?

Also, it does it no matter if the charger or any peripherals are connected (usually my android tablet and logitech mouse.)

I have a late 2008 A1278 MacBook unibody.

2. ADacome24 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't know in what way the battery could cause that but it wouldn't surprise me much if that's it.

Only way to know is to put another working battery in there and find out.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

While it could be the battery have you tried repairing permissions?

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Restore the OS with no accessories connected and check for the problem. If yes, it is Mac hardware. If no, restore from TM backup that is from before the problem started. Check again for the problem.