mac restarts after standby is off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by annay49, Feb 25, 2012.

1. annay49 macrumors member

I've recently noticed (as in it's been happening more often) that I wil either put my mac on standby or shut the lid and when I turn it back on it will be fine for like 15 seconds. Then the screen will go dark and I have to hold the power button down to restart.

It's a mid 2010 and I've upgraded to lion, otherwise nothing's changed. Any ideas? I'm going to bring it in because its hard to get class work done (teacher says put laptops away til work time and my laptop will need a restart).

2. annay49 thread starter macrumors member

after apple trip

I went in and they said they don't know what it is, and I'd have to leave my MBP with them for 3 days and I'd most likely loose all my files. Does this sound right just to run a hardware test?

3. shootist macrumors regular

No that is NOT just to run a hardware test. You can do that yourself using the Applications DVD that came with your system. Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is on that DVD.
    Or you can use the Apple internet servers to boot the computer and run the test. You do that by holding down either just the "d" key or the Option and "d" key when you start the system.

What they will do is erase your hard drive so IF you choose to take it to them make sure you have a backup of all your files and your installed programs. Because when you get it back from them all of that stuff will be GONE.

But try deleting the Sleep Image file. If it is corrupted it can cause what you are seeing.
    You do that with a terminal command.

Open Terminal and copy and past this command.

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Hit the Enter/Return key.
    You might have to type in your password, so that but do worry if you don't see any characters of any kind when you are typing it in. Terminal does not show anything when typing in a password.

It will be recreated fresh/new.
    Then Reboot the system and when it is fully running put it to sleep and then wake it.