Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cats23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
So this just happened.

Not exactly sure how but I have a feeling my roommate might have done something. Anyone have something similar happen to them? I've had my computer for less than a year, so is the warranty valid on this sort of thing? If not, does anyone know a rough price estimate?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 10.18.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 10.18.32 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 2,453

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Erm, nothing to see, did you make a screenshot with Command-Shift-3, if so it might not show up if it is the display which is the problem, only if it is the GPU it will show up.
You need to make a photo of it to show up if it is the display.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Generally display replacements cost ~$800 USD.

BTW hardware issues won't show up in a screenshot. Try taking a photo of your display using a separate camera and re-posting.

cats23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Well that's embarrassing. Hopefully this clears things up. Sorry for the poor resolution.

Attachments

• IMG00316-20130522-2247.jpg
    IMG00316-20130522-2247.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 4,699
Last edited:

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I've seen other threads with similar issues. Looking for those and a trip to an Apple store are probably in order. I'd think that'd be covered under warranty, but you can see what experiences other people have had.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Wrong, if it is the GPU it will show up, if it is the display not so.

Pardon me, that hardware issue won't show up in a screenshot.

$800?! That's quite pricy. Any 3rd party quotes?

The Retina display is the reason. It's a newer panel compared to older tech, so the part itself is expensive. Not sure how much cheaper you'll get a replacement via 3rd party.

You might want to try taking it to an Apple Store first. Be honest and explain what happened (in this case you don't know so that helps). Apple's customer service can be really good at times.

cats23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
justperry - Nope, no monitor unfortunately. I have a feeling it's just the display though.

overanalyzer - Thanks for the heads up. I tried scouring the forum but most of the threads focused on flickering horizontal lines. Mine are stationary. But I'll have another go. And yes, already on that :)

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
You didn't read did you, I didn't say "That", I said if it is the GPU it WILL show up, not so when it is the Display.

No I read what you wrote, I responded by correcting my original statement.

That (display) issue will not show up in a screenshot.

cats23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
swerve147 - Ah the price makes sense. Already started a case file so hopefully things will go well when I call in tomorrow. Guess I'll be making a trip to the Apple store!

justperry - Yes indeed. Let's hope for the best!

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
No I read what you wrote, I responded by correcting my original statement.

That (display) issue will not show up in a screenshot.

You sais the bolded part below, I said you are wrong, GPU is also hardware so you are wrong.

Generally display replacements cost ~$800 USD.

BTW hardware issues won't show up in a screenshot. Try taking a photo of your display using a separate camera and re-posting.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
You sais the bolded part below, I said you are wrong, GPU is also hardware so you are wrong.

OK, I am wrong. Have a great day!!!!!!

swerve147 - Ah the price makes sense. Already started a case file so hopefully things will go well when I call in tomorrow. Guess I'll be making a trip to the Apple store!

justperry - Yes indeed. Let's hope for the best!

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

You should be fine, especially since you don't know what happened. Could very well be a defective panel. Good luck!

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
typically horizontal lines are defective displays. It's probably not "broken" but defective GPU or defective display.

My advice is buy apple care+ and call apple. Get that fixed.

So this just happened.

Not exactly sure how but I have a feeling my roommate might have done something. Anyone have something similar happen to them? I've had my computer for less than a year, so is the warranty valid on this sort of thing? If not, does anyone know a rough price estimate?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
overanalyzer - Thanks for the heads up. I tried scouring the forum but most of the threads focused on flickering horizontal lines. Mine are stationary. But I'll have another go. And yes, already on that :)

And unfortunately I don't remember the threads well enough to know what they were called etc. I've just seen a few photos of shots of MBP screens with issues over time, including another one this week, I think. I don't remember if they were flickering or stationary, though I'd imagine it's a similar cause and I'd assume the warranty coverage is the same.

mrmike454

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
NY
Any Luck

Well that's embarrassing. Hopefully this clears things up. Sorry for the poor resolution.

I'm having a similar issue and was curious what happened with yours? What, if anything, got replaced and how much did it cost? I didn't get the apple care and my machine is over a year old so I am screwed I think...

Thanks!
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.