Mac RSS client that'll sync with Google Reader?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MoodyM, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'm looking for an RSS client for Leopard that will sync with Google Reader (Google Reader is the only was I can view my feeds at work)

Does such a thing exist? (I'm new to Macs, I just switched after 15 years of Windows use, and I'm not regretting it at all!)

Thank you.

2. dws90 macrumors regular

I know this isn't quite what you're asking for, but NetNewsWire is a great RSS reader. It can't sync with Google Reader, but it can sync with NewsGator, which offers online access to your RSS feeds. NewsGator's interface isn't as good as Google Reader's, but I generally find it good enough for when I need to access my RSS feeds on another computer.

3. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

4. iconz113 macrumors newbie

eventbox or fluid

u can use either eventbox which also integrates facebook, twitter, flickr and digg, or u can get an app called fluid which makes site specific browsers or SSB. Fluid creates an application from web applications. So for example you open fluid type in the site you want to use in this case google reader and it will create an application for google reader that sits in ur apps folder, it uses the icon that the site uses in the address bar, it even gives the application drop down menus and growl notifications just like a regular application. And this works for any web app out there, you can go even further and customize the app with css and make google reader look totally different but that takes some tweaking, I just started using fluid for create apps, its simple and convenient. Hope this helps

5. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

Try Gruml. Just found it today after trying EventBox, new NetNewsWire, and hesitating to install Adobe Air for ReadAir.

Works great, and is simple. It even adds a Menubar icon to show how many unread messages there are.

Bonus: It is already compatible with Snow Leopard.

6. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

A recent update/overhaul of NetNewsWire has gotten rid of NewsGator and now NNW syncs only with Google Reader. Also, there's an iPhone app of it, if that's of additional use to you.

7. devburke Guest

The iPhone app hasn’t been updated in forever, it still syncs with the old NewsGator accounts.

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The Netnewswire iPhone App was recently updated to v2. It's using Google Reader to sync.

I'm using the Netnewswire Mac Client, syncing to the iPhone App and the Google Reader web-page for a Windows machine. Seems to work OK.

9. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

Started using this one today, and it's awesome (Vienna was giving me too many beach balls). I was using shrook but after awhile you have to pay to keep your feeds synced with shrook.com.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I recently switched the the OS X version of NewsRack and really like it a lot. It is $6.99 in the app store.

11. KirkL macrumors 6502

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I used the Reeder beta for a while and it does work nicely. I just could not get past all the beige everywhere in Reeder. Very hard to read article headlines against the beige background. I suspect Reeder will become shareware once it comes out of beta, so the cost benefit of Reeder will be gone. Reeder does work just fine, I prefer the "theme" and interface of NewsRack more.