*Mac*Rumors uses IIS as its forum webserver?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rhyndu, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rhyndu macrumors regular

While the forums were down due to database errors this morning, I saw this message (see attachment.)

It looks very much like the IIS error pages (of IIS 5 - last time I had to do anything with it - anyway :p) - is MacRumors being served on a Windows IIS server and not OSX Apache?

Or is it just a look-alike message?

No flames please.

Attached Files:

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Macs make crappy webhosts, so using Linux/Windows would be sensible for that, though I believe MR uses Linux and that that is just a look-alike message...

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

... and what possible importance would it be, anyway?

It'd be like criticizing a coal mine owner for using gasoline in their car.

5. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

I get a database error when I try and view your attachment. :confused:

Joking aside, from the response headers, it looks like www. forum. and att. are all running on apache.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

exactly, this is the standard error message vBulletin gives you when it cant connect to the database it has absolutely nothing to do with the webhost

in case you dont know how forums work there are two parts, the file side and the database side, the file side is what you see in your browser, all of the pages, the templates graphics and all of that, the database provides the files with the text information they display, in vBulletin when the files cant see the database they throw that error, or in other forum software a very similar message, vB just decided to use one that looked like the IIs messages

7. hadderakk macrumors newbie

actually it's Apache 2.2.6 /unix with php 5.2.4
    ;)

8. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Yep:

Apache/2.2.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.6 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.2.4 Server at forums.macrumors.com Port 80

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

From the thread title I thought this was a crack about all recent slowdowns in page load times during certain times of the day.

I was thinking Macintosh II's with the 68020 CPU.

Anyways I always figured Macrumors was run on an hodge podge of 604's, G3's and G4's donated by users. All of them shoved dank, dark basements and hidden in corners of universities around the globe swiping bandwidth:D. Or does the site make enough revenue now to buy modern servers?

10. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The world runs on Windows, get over it. I have to use a DELL Windows craptop to do my job making Mac software (parts of it anyway). We can't get away from Windows - its everywhere (ATMs, cash registers, phones, cars, XBOXes).

11. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Personally, aside from a custom distro of linux, my Mac webhosts have been the most solid servers I've ever had.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

When you're serving up thousands of hits a day Apache is the best and it runs on just about any PC.

13. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

When I saw the IIS that was immediately what I thought.

that's a very useful way to use old macs.. lol would be interesting to know...
    so arn do we have
    a)shiny new servers
    b)not so shiny older servers
    c)old macs hidden in dark basements
    d)crappy pc?

..lol

14. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

No, we are NOT running IIS. We run a special cocktail of webservers for the content to optimize performance, but it all runs on Linux.