Mac running hot - never use to.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isethx, Sep 7, 2010.

1. isethx macrumors regular

I am running a 17 inch Mac Book Pro 2.93 core 2 duo. 10.6.4.

For the first year or so I had this computer and it ran great. Over the last month or so it is always running 85-90 degrees C. The fans are always running around low to upper 4,000's and this is having only itunes or only iphoto open etc.. When I have Final Cut Pro or Motion open doing very basic task my computer is near 100 C and my fans are near 5,000. Right now as I'm typing this message with nothing else open my Mac is running 81 C and the fans are at 4,200.

I have noticed this issue is way worse on better performance mode however it still is hotter than usual on better battery life mode and my Mac never use to run anywhere near this hot and the fans have never run so hard.

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. isethx thread starter macrumors regular

dashboardclient 80.7 CPU. What is dashboardclient exactly? What is the fix to this?

Thanks in advance!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

This thread will interest you.

Edit: Gah kept the window open too long and spinnerlys beat me to it. At least we linked to the same thread. :)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Happened to me once too, but it was more like some hours while I crafted my reply and when I finally got to post it, the thread was already in its twenties. :)

7. isethx thread starter macrumors regular