Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
So lets start with this.

I use Macs for:

Adobe CS4 Master
Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple Logic Studio
AutoDesk Maya

...mainly and for job reasons.

I own a:

Apple Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz (Nehalem)
Apple MacBook Pro 15" 2.66GHz (Unibody)
Apple 24" LED Cinema Display
Apple Time Capsule 1TB

But since there is no version of Softimage for Mac OS X, i had to use Windows via Boot Camp and i don't know which version of Windows should i use to run Softimage flawlessly.

I want my 8-Cores to run while i render.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
I'm using Softimage XSI (version 7.01 may upgrade later after buying my Mac Pro I don't want to lay down another $1000+ to upgrade yet) on Windows Vista 64-bit and it's running well, I did a few render regions and it renders quickly although I haven't done any big renders through the render manager yet.

Since it looks like most of your other pro apps are Mac based, I think Vista will be just fine, unless you hate the security notices Vista throws at you. Usually I would recommend XP if you had other pro apps in Windows because it just has better compatibility with other softwares/legacy software.

I spoke to someone at Softimage and they support multi-core hyper-threading.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
So should i get a Windows Vista 64-Bit or 32-Bit for Autodesk Softimage 7.5 64bit?

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
If you plan on using using the 64-bit version of Softimage then you'll need a 64-bit OS, either Windows XP Pro 64-bit (SP2 +) or Vista 64-bit will do.

So yeah, if you want to go with Vista just make sure it's either the Business Edition or the Ultimate Edition with SP1 installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.