Mac Screen Sharing limited to specific app/window

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ctyrider, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Does anyone know of a good solution to screen share individual apps between my Mac and another computer? To emphasize, I am not looking to share the entire desktop - just a specific application window.

So ideally, something like a VNC Server, which lets me choose the open app window to share. The client computer accessing this window will be Windows based.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.

You can share either the entire desktop or a single window if you prefer.

3. ctyrider, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

ctyrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

TeamViewer is pretty close, but I don't see any way to restrict the control to a specific windows from a Mac/Server side. I see you can limit your view to a single window on the Client side, but I would like to restrict the viewer to a specific app from the Server.

Is there a way to do it, which I may have missed?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you see this?

5. ctyrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I did. It looks like this only works on a Windows client. On a Mac - I only get an option of sharing the entire screen:

[​IMG]

Have you been able to share just one window from a Mac?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't played with that feature in a very long time. I mostly use TeamViewer to provide remote desktop support for Mac and Windows users, so I always have full access to the entire remote computer.