Mac SE/30 Snap crackle and pop

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NEOband, Sep 6, 2014.

1. NEOband macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Macintosh SE/30. Bought it at a market (sold as seen) for very little money. When I switched it on today I can hear what can only be described as a grinding and crackling noise coming from somewhere behind the fan. I switched it off immediately. Turn it on and off a few times only for a few seconds at a time and it still makes the noise. Im afraid to keep it on any longer as I'm afraid it might explode. I'm yet to pop the lid off to see more accurately where the noise is from.

It's not the Harddrive which is near the bottom. It's sounds to me like its behind the fan at the back. There is no bong noise when I flick the power switch. Just this crackling noise that makes me then it's gonna go bang.

I'm hoping its a common fault.

Also, the centre of the screen has a very obvious black spot about 2 inches across the smack centre of the screen. Is this normal screen burn? Or has something in the CRT blown and damaged the inside of the screen?

Thanks

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

You'd be better off asking this in the 68kMLA forums for Compact Macs, they're nice people who would be happy to help. (especially as the SE/30 seems to be everybody's favourite Compact!) :)

3. NEOband thread starter macrumors newbie

4. harrymatic macrumors 6502

5. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Not a PowerPC, if you dont get answers at that forum try the Apple Collectors forum.