Mac SE Screen Hack

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by paulgrimshaw, Mar 28, 2010.

1. paulgrimshaw macrumors newbie

Hi,

Not sure where this should be posted, please move if its in the wrong place.

I have been given a mac se and some bits. Inside is just the screen, no psu, no logicboard, no hard disks etc. I do have a mac se analog board which I think should be with it but not sure. The previous owner thinks its the same machine.

I have a crazy idea to stick something else inside for messing around and to use for advertising in our computer shop (like an old mac mini I have here, not being used). I guess making the screen a dumb crt monitor in its own right.

I thought I would be able to simply wire up a VGA connector to the board attached to the tube - it has 6 cables which I assume links to the rgbhv and a ground and then sort something out for power.

Is this the right idea or is this exactly what these cables are? I have spent rather a lot of time trying to find out if this is even possible or completely stupid. I am really trying to find a pinout or tech drawing to see exaclty whats what.

Finally caved and logged in here - hope someone may have the answer or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Paul.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I moved this to Apple Collectors simply because that's where most of the people who have any idea how to wire up an SE are likely to read. :) I've seen hacks like this recently, but most of them involved using the case and ditching the CRT for an LCD (which leaves actually rather a lot of room inside the case!). Good luck.

3. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

4. MacTech68, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

In a word, NO! Don't attempt that! You'll probably destroy the MacMini's Video out! :eek:

The old SE CRT is NOT an RGB display. It's monochrome (black and white).

As suggested, your best bet would be a 9" LCD display with SVGA or DVI input. The only drawback is that the LCD is flat, but the cut-out for the original CRT is curved slightly. You might be able to flatten the inside of the display bezel or fill the gap with some kind of plastic.
    ________
    glass bongs