Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budward

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone that says "Pwn" or "Pwned" Is a complete idiot.

I don't mind ghetto talk, or urban slang (not that I use it) but anyone that uses "Pwn" in their vocabulary is a complete an utter moron.

carry on

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I've been using Mac's for 10 years, have dozens of friends who have used Mac's for just as long, and I have never encountered or know anyone who has had a virus or their machine hacked into.

My Window friends on the other hand, total opposite. Just about all of them have had major virus or malware issues. Constantly running Norton and all their anti-virus blockers and still having problems.

So yeah, Mac is still the safest way to go.

Quite true. I've ALWAYS bought and used Macs as my personal computer and NEVER had a hack attack or virus.

Yes, I've had a few Windows viruses infect my machine, but Norton destroyed those and they never affected my Mac.

Still, it's a bit disconcerting to hear someone claim that Macs are the easiest to hack - true or not.

I will continue to use Macs into the forseeable future. I just love Macintosh and Apple culture.

:)

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Just to clarify – SQL Lite local storage in Safari is far more secure than cookies, which everyone on the web uses daily.

There is something to be said for designing with hindsight.

budward

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2006
Leopard takes second these days

On another note, Leopard is trash. Total trash. Great potential, aesthetically pleasing, much faster.. however, its not ready for production. I'm not even going to tell you about Leopard Server.. reminds me of NT4.0.. bad, really bad..

Funny though, although I do run leopard.. I find myself leaving it in the background using VMWare Fusion to run FreeBSD (which osx is based on) more often than not.

shame on you and your greed Steve.

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
This guy been practicing at home/work for weeks on end. No way any hacvker Pwn a system in 2 minutes flat with a new unknown vulnerability. This guy knew the vulnerability was there and unpatch weeks ahead and then sat down and worked the details prior to the competition. Seems to me this was completly unfair as the other hackers did not do the same prior to coming to the competition. Sorry but this is bull.

I have 12 full time hackers in my team and we bring the best and brightest to come show us how they do it and show our hackers their best tricks (for pay), none (internal hackers or 3rd parties) can do that in 2 minutes with zero preparation.

This was researched and was ready prior to getting there.

This is flat out unfair and a bunch of bull.

Had he gone thru the same preparations in another OS, he would have pwn any of the systems in about the same amount of time.

This was likely an issue with image or some multimedia malformed file, NONE OF THE BROWSER do a good job of properly parsing multimedia, they all have issue in this area.

We send our people to these competitions from time to time and beleive me there are all sorts of preparations by some and no preparation by others. They all know what they will be hacking well ahead of time.

The chain breaks at the weakest link. The weakest link is ussualy the browser, anyone in security knows that they are the most vulnerable programs.

These new HTML-5 features that WebKit and Safari are implementing ahead of everyone else are going to be a nightmare for users, these new HTML-5 features are very unsecured. Have you heard about the ability to store information using SQL at your workstation, have you heard how another program or javascript can read and steal that data off your workstation? Same thing withthe new animations. Horrible.

Hate to say it, but, doing your homework ahead of time is certainly fair game. Safari, being built on webkit, is essentially open source. I'm sure other hackers tried to find vulnerabilities in the same way and just couldn't come up with anything.

To not do the research is just lazy.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I also agree with the people that say given the opportunity to hack Vista versus the Mac, I too would chose the Mac - both to win the new Macbook Air versus a "PC", and because it would probably make more press (which it did). I don't agree though that hacking Ubuntu would be a yawn - I think it would be as important if not a bit more so than hacking a Mac.

agreed. Press Headline:[sarcasm]"Hacking Competition Proves OS X is More Secure than Windows Vista". I've certainly not heard this ever before, I better read into this[/sarcasm]

ZooCrewMan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Northridge, CA
This just goes to show you that the OS itself is secure but what the user does in applications can bring the security down.

The lesson learned as I see it (and always have).
Don't go to sites that look seedy and don't download/open things you don't trust.

I will still stand by OS X as a very secure OS. User error and applications are the weak point.

Same goes for Windows...I've been running Windows Vista for 2 years, (I was a beta tester), and for all of Apple's criticisms of Windows (particularly Vista), if you have half a brain, you don't even need to use an anti-virus.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Ergo, if you run Vista, you should turn off your virus service, because it is more secure than Mac OS X (and the large majority of Mac users run without one). Why waste the the money on buying one or the cycles on running one, right?

mergelayers

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
Virginia
disheartening

I think this is pretty disheartening to the loyal Mac users. Fell first? Before vista and linux? I can handle Linux...but not the vista defeat. At least they'll learn from this so they can kick butt next time. :apple:

ZooCrewMan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Northridge, CA
Ergo, if you run Vista, you should turn off your virus service, because it is more secure than Mac OS X (and the large majority of Mac users run without one). Why waste the the money on buying one or the cycles on running one, right?

I'm saying that if you have half a brain, which a majority of people in this world do not, you don't need an anti virus. I personally don't see the point of paying for a program that hogs resources just to protect me from my own stupid mistakes; I would rather just not make them in the first place.

I won't say the the Mac OS is any more or any less secure than Windows. I honestly believe they are on equal footing, and if Mac gets more of the market share, we will see more Mac viruses and exploits. You can cite study after study, but anyone studying anything can sway the results to prove whatever point they want.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Hate to say it, but, doing your homework ahead of time is certainly fair game. Safari, being built on webkit, is essentially open source. I'm sure other hackers tried to find vulnerabilities in the same way and just couldn't come up with anything.

To not do the research is just lazy.

I think that ED's issue is with the headline, which implies that Mac OS X was so amazingly insecure that someone just shot in the breeze and 2 minutes later, he had hacked the Mac, compared to the Windows Box, which took so much more time to hack, because Vista is more secure. That's ED's issue, and it's mine too. I don't know what to say about the contest, but the journalism is absolute crap.

That's like saying someone ran a marathon in a split second because that's how long it took to cross the finish line. This CanSecWest thing proves absolutely not even close to one thing about the comparative security of OSes.

It does demonstrate that OS X is vulnerable to social engineering vulnerabilities, like every OS. Not surprising...

kloppenator

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
Steve, i'm mad at you

i'm 200% a fanboy, but when apple's wrong, they're wrong. I dont know what to say... but nothing i would say would defend apple. And thats a first.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I don't mind ghetto talk, or urban slang (not that I use it) but anyone that uses "Pwn" in their vocabulary is a complete an utter moron.

Language is, and always has been, a fluid thing. It needs to be. Think of all the terms computers and the Internet have produced, all of them created because there were no existing terms that properly identified them. Do you ever use terms like "phish", "emoticon", "website", "Google" (as a verb), "mouse", "spam", "download", "menu" or "hack?" Does that make you an utter moron for using those terms that either didn't exist a 20+ years ago or had vastly different meanings back then?

"Pwn" has a specific meaning not fully covered by any existing term. It will most likely end up a part of the language, even if it's relegated to nonstandard status.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I've been using Mac's for 10 years, have dozens of friends who have used Mac's for just as long, and I have never encountered or know anyone who has had a virus or their machine hacked into.

My Window friends on the other hand, total opposite. Just about all of them have had major virus or malware issues. Constantly running Norton and all their anti-virus blockers and still having problems.

So yeah, Mac is still the safest way to go.

Same experience. Except for just one incident a few years ago...

I was browsing some news website, when I noticed unusual continuous network traffic on the network-switch. Very strange since I was only reading pages and not downloading anything. So I closed the browser; network activity didn't stop, even though there was no other application or network-sharing active. Rebooted the Mac; traffic finally stopped. Started browsing the web again, and got on the same news site... and there it was again! That was weird... since I just clicked on a page with only text and some graphics (no video or animations). So I tried different web browsers like the IE for Mac and Camino. All of them triggered the same strange network traffic, as soon as it got on the news site. Then I looked into the Activity Monitor of OS-X, but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Fortunately I have a router that does a good job in logging network-traffic. Its log showed that there was a connection made to.... the nasty guys of value*click.com! It turned out that some weird script on the website was trying to make a connection with value*click. I don't know if the script did work on Mac, but it always left an open TCP session on which Value*click was eagerly trying to send/receive something. So I immediately blocked that IP range at the front-door (router); effectively removing some adds from my screen as a pleasant side-effect.

Now guess what news site I was browsing when this happened? You're looking at it right now! No kidding.
:eek:

Anyway... I'm not that worried about OS-X. Criminals just need to take control over some DNS or WAN-router, and anyone browsing with any kind of computer or OS connected to that, is at risk. Also known as "phishing" or "man-in-the-middle-attacks". That is something I'm much more worried about.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Yes. That's exactly what happened. Once a hacker has any degree of physical access to your machine all bets are off, and drawing conclusions about one platform's security over another on that basis is pretty silly.

The hacker didn't have physical access to the computer. The user did, but the user was not the hacker. And fact remains that OS X was the only OS to fall to that type of attack. Vista or Linux did not fall.

It's impressive that Linux withstood that

Not only Linux, but Vista survived it as well.

and it's true that Apple needs to address whatever security hole allowed the hacker access, but I don't see the point of claiming superior security of one platform over the other when the hackers were given access to the machine itself.

They weren't given access to the machine... And still, fact remains that OS X failed this test, when the other OS'es did not. We CAN draw conclusions from this test. And no, saying something like "Well, it's unreasonable to expect the OS to be secure in these circumstances...." is just 100% wrong. It's NOT unreasonable. After all, Vista and Linux WERE secure in those circumstances, why should we expect less from OS X?

In some part that was due to a lack of interest.

That was your explanation as to why the Linux-box was never hacked. On what are you basing that assumption on? Why couldn't it simply be that it's just more secure than Vista or OS X is?

Why does it seem to me that whenever we get piece of news about Mac getting hacked, we get all kinds of excuses and explanations? "The guys hacking the Mac were brighter and better than the guys hacking Linux and Vista! Vista had SP1 installed, it was not fair! No-one cares about hacking Linux! It doesn't matter since the hack required user-interaction! The managed the exploit the Mac because the planets were aligned just right!".

i.maverick

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2007
somewhere I belong
a bit of clarification...
the "hackers" could only use unknown exploits.
microsoft sponsors the event in part
the "hackers" would get the machine they hacked, so is it any wonder that the guy went after the macbook air??
yes the guy had been working on the exploit for maybe months on end(not trying to excuse the hole here) but the 2 minutes thing is being blown out of proportion.he was aware of exactly what he wanted to do. so he waited for the second day.
MR is way late in submitting this rumor. this is already stale news.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...asons-why-cansecwest-targets-apple/#more-1675

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...liver-attacks-on-the-reality-of-mac-security/

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
I think it's amusing how many arguments and assumptions are being made before the full facts come out.

What do we know:
1) There was a competition performed where hackers had to hack either a Mac, a Windows machine or an Ubuntu box.
2) None of the computers went down in the first day; the rules had to be relaxed before any of them moved.
3) All of the computers were completely pawned by the end of the competition.
4) The Mac was hacked first.

What we don't know:
1) How any of the computers were hacked.
2) In what way the rules were relaxed before the Mac was hacked.
3) Whether the Mac is vulnerable to the security issues that took down the Vista machine and the Ubuntu machine.
4) Overall which computer is the least secure over a battery of tests.

This doesn't show that the Mac was the weakest link. As one contributor said… everything was prepared and I'm sure the guys were pro's who came in with security attacks.

Yes it does show that the Mac has a security flaw that Vista and Ubuntu apparently don't have. I think it's most likely a Webkit flaw and is likely related to the new features that Apple recently added (which if you remember, also made Safari by far the fastest browser out there).

Lets see when the facts come out… Macs are always hacked in these competitions, and it always causes a stir. I'm yet to see a Mac hacked without the rules of the competition being relaxed.

People will always use the market share argument, but nobody will be able to prove it until Apple has 99.99% of the market out there. The fact is there are many millions of Mac users out there… 4%… 7-8% I'm seeing now… actually means a loooot of users. I don't know figures… but hundreds of millions? at least 50% of the remaining > 90% of computer users are Mac haters I would guess. Funny… none of the Mac-hating UNIX, Linux or Windows-using hackers have put a mainstream hack/virus for MacOS X into the market.

Also, how can we prove that Apple's slow to respond to exposed vulnerabilities? Seems like they've had less than 12 hours to fix this one, and we'll probably see a patch within the next week, although it's probably not even a serious concern. My guess is it requires very specific circumstances that Apple's engineers haven't even thought of.

hypothetical… but is it a real concern if my computer can be hacked… IF I run some malicious code and enter my root password (assuming the root user is enabled), while some dodgy looking guy with a hacking program on his UNIX box has his machine plugged into mine using a USB cable, an ethernet cable and a firewire cable. I'll then give him 2 days to keep doing his work, and perform weird things on my computer when he tells me to do them (including installing weird .kext's and other 3rd party software that I would usually never delve with).

If that leads to my computer being hacked, then does Apple really need to fix the "bug"?

Where there's a will there's a way. There will never be a computer that can't be hacked, and as software improves in terms of speed and functionality, we're only going to see more ways of hacking computers. get used to it ;)

inktoner

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
It just makes you go hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm!

In yesterdays news---

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/03/31/phac-virus.html

543 Windows computers compromised.
$1.5 Million to clean up.
Protected by one of these so called Expert Security Company.

Windows definitely WON this competition.

Now where's that similar Mac story????????

oh yeah, yawn---All of Millers work got him only 1 computer and $10,000 when he could have been richer by $1.5 million if he had figured out that Windows Fix...

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
As most other users have already said, this is ridiculous (for Apple). Any fanboy still drinking the Apple kool-aid at this point needs to have his head checked. I still love OS X, and am eagerly awaiting 10.5.3.

Hopefully a new Safari version will be released soon as well? I've been reading the nightlies are much better than 3.1.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
According to MacWorld, ONLY the Macs were attacked first. Only after the Mac was exploited did anyone attack the PCs. Apparently, no one wanted the PC or Linux prizes?

Anyway, that fact alone makes the "Mac Hacked First" headline completely phony.

The correct title should be "Hackers Love to Win Macs First over PCs!"

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The hacker didn't have physical access to the computer. The user did, but the user was not the hacker. And fact remains that OS X was the only OS to fall to that type of attack. Vista or Linux did not fall.
[...]
They weren't given access to the machine...

You're playing with semantics. When I say the hackers were given access, I mean they were allowed to direct user activity going on for the given machine. There's an old rule about computer security which states that as soon as someone has access to the machine, nothing is secure anymore. When the contest allowed the contestants to direct specific actions on the machine, that was giving them access, regardless of whether it was their fingers doing it.

And once you can control what's happening on the machine, you're open to all kinds of crazy stuff. It basically becomes a Trojan horse at that point, getting the user to launch something or click something that carries a payload. Any platform is vulnerable to that. I just don't get the point.

omni-impotent

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
This post highlights my feelings about Apple for the past 12 months. They don't give a crap about MAC users anymore, it's all iPhone this and iPhone that. I guess ditching loyal customers is a great strategy for a few extra short-term bucks is a great plan...

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
the "hackers" would get the machine they hacked, so is it any wonder that the guy went after the macbook air??

IF the machines roughly worth the same amount of money, then it does not matter one bit.

What do we know:
3) All of the computers were completely pawned by the end of the competition.

IIRC, the Linux-machine was not exploited.

What we don't know:
1) How any of the computers were hacked.

We have the rough idea, but not the details.

2) In what way the rules were relaxed before the Mac was hacked.

Um, yes we do.

3) Whether the Mac is vulnerable to the security issues that took down the Vista machine and the Ubuntu machine.

Like I said, Ubuntu-machine was still standing at the end of the competition.

This doesn't show that the Mac was the weakest link. As one contributor said… everything was prepared

Yes, the attacks on the OS X-machine were prepared. But so were the attacks on Vista and Linux.

and I'm sure the guys were pro's who came in with security attacks.

And so are the black-hat hackers.

I think it's most likely a Webkit flaw and is likely related to the new features that Apple recently added (which if you remember, also made Safari by far the fastest browser out there).

It seems that they also made Safari the fastest browser to be 0wned.... I would rather have a slightly slower but secure browser, as opposed to speed-demon that is unsecure.

I'm yet to see a Mac hacked without the rules of the competition being relaxed.

So?

Also, how can we prove that Apple's slow to respond to exposed vulnerabilities? Seems like they've had less than 12 hours to fix this one

The piece of news about Apple being slow at fixing holes was not directly related to this hacking-competition.

hypothetical… but is it a real concern if my computer can be hacked… IF I run some malicious code and enter my root password (assuming the root user is enabled), while some dodgy looking guy with a hacking program on his UNIX box has his machine plugged into mine using a USB cable, an ethernet cable and a firewire cable. I'll then give him 2 days to keep doing his work, and perform weird things on my computer when he tells me to do them (including installing weird .kext's and other 3rd party software that I would usually never delve with).

If that leads to my computer being hacked, then does Apple really need to fix the "bug"?

Strawman-argument. In this case, all it took for the Mac to be exploited, was for the user to visit a website.

You're playing with semantics.

No I'm not. Physical access means that the hacker has.... physical access to the machine. That is, he can plug devices in to it, he can reach the power-button etc. etc. THAT is "physical access". Simply creating a website that will "0wn" the computer is NOT the same as "physical access". And that's what happened here.

When I say the hackers were given access, I mean they were allowed to direct user activity going on for the given machine.

And that's how many real-life exploits take place. You get an email from your friend that says "check this cool video!", you click on the link.... and your machine gets exploited.

There's an old rule about computer security which states that as soon as someone has access to the machine, nothing is secure anymore.

I'm well aware of that rule. And that rule is about the hacker standing right next to the computer! It's about hackers who can pull the powercord or plug in extra devices to the machine. And none of that applies here.

How exactly could you stop a denial of service-attack if the hacker is standing next to the machine with a sledgehammer? You don't.

When the contest allowed the contestants to direct specific actions on the machine, that was giving them access, regardless of whether it was their fingers doing it.

What they were allowed to do was to send mail to the machine and ask the user to go to some website, that's all. That does NOT equal "physical access" no matter how much you try to spin it.

And once you can control what's happening on the machine, you're open to all kinds of crazy stuff.

Their control was limited to sending email and asking the user to go to a website, that's all.

It basically becomes a Trojan horse at that point, getting the user to launch something or click something that carries a payload. Any platform is vulnerable to that. I just don't get the point.

But that's not what happened here. The hacker created a malicious website and asked the user to visit it. When he did, his machine was exploited. he did NOT launch some strange installation-packages or something. He launched Safari and visited a website.

According to MacWorld, ONLY the Macs were attacked first. Only after the Mac was exploited did anyone attack the PCs. Apparently, no one wanted the PC or Linux prizes?

Anyway, that fact alone makes the "Mac Hacked First" headline completely phony.

The correct title should be "Hackers Love to Win Macs First over PCs!"

That's ********. ALL machine were attacked right from the start. I think you are confused by this part of the article:

The MacBook was the only system to be hacked by Thursday, however, the word on the show floor is that the Linux and Vista systems will meet with some serious challenges on Friday.

That simply means that only the Mac was exploited by thursday, while Vista and Ubuntu were still unexploited.

EDIT: it should also be noted that OS X was first to be hacked in last years contest as well.

Not ............................ It is still MUCH easier to hack the Vista OS as an OS than it is to hack the Unix OS X as an OS. If it weren't for this one incident, OS X would likely be sitting side-by-side with it's sibling Linux. This ought be be a good incentive, however, for Apple to step-up production of security patches for apps which run on OS X.

Just because some OS is "UNIX" does not mean that it's bulletproof. And not all UNIXes are just as secure. It's widely accepted that OpenBSD is the most secure OS out there (excluding some really niche OSes), with maybe Solaris being second.

It's dumb in the extreme to think that "This is UNIX, therefore it has excellent security". Being (or not being) UNIX says very little about the security of the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.