Mac sees PCs, but PCs cannot see Mac on Ethernet Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slobizman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. slobizman macrumors member

I just added a iMac to my ethernet network. It's the first Mac to this PC network, and I am new to Macs (a new convert!!). My iMac can see my PC's and read the folders and files on them. However, my PC's cannot see the iMac. I have the Firewall set to let anyone in, and I have File Sharing set up to let anyone read.

Can anyone tell me what dum Mac newbie thing Im doing wrong?

Thanks.

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

In the Sharing System Preferences control panel item, did you make sure to enable SMB in the File Sharing options for Windows file sharing? This might help you out to transfer files back and forth.

3. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Hmmm....I'm a newbie myself and I know that whenever I've tried filesharing with Windows, it's never been able to see the Mac. Of course OS X using HFS+ and I wonder whether that contributes to it.

Thing is, Microsoft don't want you to use a Mac and sort of, well, 'deny it exists'. On the other hand Apple have to maintain some sort of compatibility with Windows so it may be a one-sided issue in that you always have to use the Mac to transfer files, unless someone has written a program for the Windows side or I'm just plain wrong, heh.

4. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

fixed! now another similar problem

Thanks Avenger. I did that and it worked! Interestingly, I didn't see anything about this mysterious setting in the books and pages I came upon. Don't really know what it is yet, but 'm happy it's doing the job.

Now, I also have a MBP connecting to the network through a Time Capsule's and Airport Expresses (depending upon where I am in the house) that is attached via Ethernet to the same network. With my MBP I can get to the PC's (and now this iMac we just got working), but PC's can see my MBP but when they try to connect, it asks for a name and password. I have already applied the same SMB setting to my MBP that I did to my iMac. I don't know what user name and pw it is asking for and have tried several name/pw's, none of which are working. Maybe it has something to do with having to leave my ethernet and go through my wireless connection

5. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Biolizard,
    Trust me on this one, you can share back and forth between Mac and Windows computers if you setup the Mac Sharing System Preferences correctly. HFS+ file system has nothing to do with it. I share files back and forth between Mac and Windows computers all the time and I never have a problem at home or work.

On the Mac:
    Open the Sharing System Preferences
    Click the checkmark box beside File Sharing to turn it on
    Make sure your user account shows in the right panel and the file permissions are correct
    Click the Options button in the bottom right hand corner
    Checkmark the SMB sharing option and make sure your user account is in the box below SMB file sharing and it is checkmarked to ensure it's enabled for that user account
    Click Done and make sure you make a note of your IP address on the Mac

On the Windows computer:
    Open My Computer
    Click the Tools menu option and then click Map Network Drive
    Pick an available drive letter then type in your Mac's IP address in the correct shown format (Example: //your mac's ip address/your shared folder
    Here's what I use this for my share on Windows //192.168.1.x/Macintosh HD)
    Then Windows should ask you for your username and password to verify the sharepoint.
    Voila, you have your sharing setup between your Windows computer and your Mac
    Just double-click the mounted sharepoint on Windows to view and move data to your Mac.

6. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Try using your shortname username from your user account and your password.

7. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Regarding my MBP, I figured out the login stuff. It was simply the account and password for the MBP itself. It was confusing since the iMac did not require this. Beats me why.

8. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Hmm... that's weird why the iMac didn't ask. But I'm glad you got things working there with your computers.

9. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

The iMac only lets me in specifically to the folders that I indicated as shared. The others (even child folders) tell me I cannot access them; no option to enter a password. The MBP requires a password to get into it, but then lets me go everywhere.

10. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Heh, I wasn't even thinking about picking the shared folders on the Mac. :rolleyes: I always just select the entire HD. :D

11. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm...now my iMac that is cable-connected to the Ethernet can see but not get into ("connection failed") my MBP that is connected wirelessly through an Airport Express into the same network. It does work in reverse, where my MBP can get into the iMac.

I checked the Firewall, Network and Sharing settings for both computers and they are the same.

I checked the Airport Express settings and I don't see anything that would be blocking the access from the iMac.

Any ideas?