Mac Server Access Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steubing, Sep 12, 2015.

1. steubing macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini setup as my local server. It's running the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.5) and latest version of OS X Server (4.1.5). Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago when it stopped letting me connect to it's shared drives from other macs on the network.

When I open Finder from another Mac, I see the Mac Mini in the shared list. When I click on it, I see "Connecting..." then a few seconds pass and it says "Connection Failed". If I click on "Connect As...", I get a popup window that says: "There was a problem connecting to the server "XXXX". Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator."

If I go to the server and attempt to connect to other mac's shared resources, it works fine.

Also, I have Plex running on this server and have no issues connecting to Plex from any other mac on the network.

Is there a good document out there on how to troubleshoot an issue like this?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you usually connect to your server using it's IP address?

Is the server's IP address dynamically assigned?

If so, has the IP address changed?

You can try connecting to the server using it's name and not the IP address directly if you have been connecting to it via IP.