Mac shipping from the UK to Norway

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by syff, Jun 11, 2007.

1. syff macrumors newbie

I'm currently moving home from the UK to Norway, and since the Royal Mail website (or any other website) is unable to provide me with answers to my questions, I'd like to direct them to you bright Mac guys and gals instead.

Simply put:

I've got an iMac G5 20" I'd like to ship back to Norway. It's big, it's heavy and it's fragile. How much would this cost me, and which shipping company is the best to go with (if I have a choice, at all)?

Delivery time is not an issue, so I don't really care whether it's shipped by air, land or sea as long as it's a fully working iMac when it arrives at my home.

It cost me about £50 to ship it from Norway to the UK, but as I've yet to find any information at all about international shipping from the UK, I have no idea what it would cost me to ship it back.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm not entirely sure on what the cost will be but I did want to say that iMacs are pretty tough and it stands a very good chance of surviving it just fine. (lots of experience in iMac "abuse" - baggage checking it through airlines and another one got dropped in our flat. All in perfect working order still) The original packaging is surprisingly good for transporting them so I'm hoping you still have that for your shipping it?

Give the Post Office a call. Websites are not very helpful for this sort of thing I've found. DHL is another option; they have a phone number on their website and they usually give you a price quote on dimensions and weight of your parcel.

Good luck!

3. syff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I'm glad to hear about the iMac's "toughness" -- at least that's one less problem to worry about. Also, I do have the original packaging, so I guess the iMac is as ready as it can be for the journey.

However, I gave DHL Norway a quick call, to get an estimate on the shipping costs: to ship an iMac from England to Norway they charged a whopping 3500 NOK (about £300). That's seven times more than I paid Norway Post to ship it!

I'll give Royal Mail a call later today, but if anybody has any other alternatives when it comes to international shipping from the UK, shout out.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Whatever you do, avoid TNT. You will never see your iMac again if you do. They have lost or severely delayed EVERY parcel I or my friends and colleagues have had the misfortune of having to send through them, and that includes using their premium express services.

5. iGav macrumors G3

Parcelforce.

Though the Royal Mail can handle it.

As far as I'm aware the Royal Mail have limitations on the weight (and size) of the packages they can handle. But an iMac is well within the size limitations (1.5 metres) and is easily within the weight restrictions (20kg) so you shouldn't have any problems at all.

6. syff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again!

I'm relieved the Royal Mail can handle it, but I'll be sure to check out Parcelforce to compare prices.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

$600 to ship Norway to the UK? That's insane! :eek: