Mac shutting down immediately after Windows starts

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iansp, Oct 5, 2010.

1. iansp macrumors newbie

I have been successfully running Windows XP under Boot Camp (17-inch iMac Intel Core Duo 2008, MacOS 10.6.4) for some time. Now, when I boot into Windows, as soon as the Windows desktop screen appears the computer immediately shuts down and restarts.
    A full reinstall of Windows has not solved the problem.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did you do a clean install of Windows (erased the partition and then installed)?

3. iansp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I removed the Windows partition and did a compete reinstall from scratch - strictly following Apple's Boot Camp instructions. All of which took quite a time, as you probably know:)

4. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

On my PC, the motherboard has a jumper that you can use to reset things, just in case something got screwed up. On the PC I would move the jumper over one spot for about 10 seconds and then move it back. It cleared up a problem of the motherboard going through all the startup codes on it's little 2-digit LED display until it reached "FF" but not starting the BIOS like it should.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Some actions like updating Bootcamp will install the faulty drivers AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys. You find those in the Windows/system32/drivers directory. Rename the files and your problem is probably gone. The editing can be done in another Windows computer or if you have another OS installed you edit from Linux or OS X. In OS X you need an NTFS driver.

6. iansp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I tried renaming those two files AppleHFS1.sys and AppleMNT1.sys. However, this has not solved the problem. What would happen if I deleted them altogether (probably not a good idea:confused:)?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Did you do any driver installations? Some drivers are not compatible with the Mac hardware unless you patch the master boot record. That goes for the AHCI driver for instance.

9. iansp thread starter macrumors newbie

The only drivers installed were the Boot Camp Drivers from the MacOS disc, following Apple's Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide. This process seemed to go without a problem. This was exactly as when I set up Windows and Boot Camp some time last year for the first time (can't remember exactly when); after that installation all worked well.
    The only changes since then will have been MacOS software updates issued since.
    Oh - and I have recently changed to an Apple Wireless keyboard (bluetooth) with its (MacOS) driver.

10. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I could imagine that the renaming did not work with just adding a 1. The system does this sometimes when it finds double files. Perhaps you need to change the extension to something like mod instead of sys.

I have to admit that this is a mysterious case.

11. iansp thread starter macrumors newbie

A Result!

Back in business:)
    I used Boot Camp Assistant to delete the Windows partition completely; in other words back to just running MacOS. I then discovered the Finder was reporting very little hard disk space remaining, which seemed wrong knowing what I had on the disk.

A verify check with Disk Utility from my Snow Leopard install CD showed up an error which related directly with this problem. Running disk repair then corrected things, and the Finder reported much more space remaining.

Reinstalling Windows then went smoothly and all now seems to be well.

BTW I restored those two files mentioned before to their original names.
    Thanks to all for their suggestions.