Mac site rendering problems-can someone find the issue?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by keltoid, Jun 17, 2009.

1. keltoid macrumors newbie

I would like to post 2 pages, the concern in the top black header.
    The main default page renders it correctly, it is centered on top of the image and body of the page. The SECOND page link, it stays left. These two have separate master pages and css, but I cannot see the difference why it is not centered on my mac. It renders fine on pc.

On our macs - (OSx leopard) - IE 5.2 renders correctly.

Safari and Firefox (Mac)- the "Quick Kits" page has that black header just stuck to the left.

Can anyone help me please try and figure out why this is happening? I cannot for the life of me see the problem. If you would like me to post css, please say so.

link 1: Default page renders top black header fine-centered.

link 2: quick kits pages, the black header is shifted to the left

I'd really appreciate anyone who can figure this out, so much! Thanks!

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

There seems to be a lot of different rendering issues with your page i would start with correcting the 110 coding errors in your html.
    link to error report

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Firefox usage is close to 50%.

IE 6+7+8 usage share is 40% and declining.
    IE 5 usage is close to 0%. In other words, don't test with ie5.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

HTML validity is definitely one issue. As for the black bar being stuck left you need to change this,
    Code:
    #head_box {
     margin: 0 0 0 0;
    }
    to
    Code:
    #head_box {
     margin: 0 auto;
    }
    As far as why the pages rendered differently, the #container was defined differently on each page. This is why you should be using a common CSS file for the site rather than breaking things up into separate files.

5. keltoid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody -- I will check out the validator.
    As far as testing and browsers - around 70% of our customers use IE of one form or another. And IE5.2 is the IE I have on this mac, I don't use it, but I checked with it just to see since FF and Saf weren't rendering it correct. There is likely a more updated version -- but at least it rendered it correctly as did viewing it on pcs.

We are going through the code -- its been a rush job with little time to make it completely pretty. :) and its not done. I will def check the margins in the css, that sounds useful. Thanks.

6. keltoid thread starter macrumors newbie

angelwatt - thanks so much, that did the trick!

I agree, I didn't build it originally and like I said we need to rush get something else done, which... eh is what it is. Thanks all!

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The Mac version of IE was discontinued a couple years ago. You have the last release. Though, it doesn't render the same as the Windows IE so checking with it really won't help much. Just a FYI. Glad you got it fixed.