Mac Sleep Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BEEFc58, Jun 5, 2008.

1. BEEFc58 macrumors member

I am running a Mac Mini as a media center and kind of a "hub" at my house. To access it wirelessly through screen share with my macbook, the mini has to not be sleeping. Is it ok to have a mac never sleep?

Thanks,

BEEF

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes, no problem. You can have it running 7 x 24. You may want to have the screen sleep or shutoff however. You can still access the mini by Screen Sharing. If the screen is sleeping it will wake up. If its off, no problem as you will still get the mini desktop on your macbook.

3. operator207 macrumors 6502

Another thing to mention, is WOL: Wake on Lan. If you have the ability to plug the Mini into ethernet, you could have it sleep, and then use WOL to wake the mini up when you need it. It would save power for obvious reasons.

I mention this as power consumption at my house is a daily battle. We try to keep all power consumption to a minimum. Even if it sacrifices convenience.

However, I do agree that keeping the mini on all the time is not going to hurt it, unless the environment its in is really hot, like in your garage in the summer time. I mention that, because I have an old Windows laptop out in my garage I use to look things up when I am working on my car, and it died recently because it was too hot. Shut off durning a defrag, and corrupted many files.
    Ya, dumb is me. :)

4. BEEFc58 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply's guys. Sounds good. I will keep it on then.

Thanks,

BEEF