Mac Slow Down...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eclipse525, May 30, 2007.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

My iMac (G4/800mHz/1 GB SDRAM) has gotten so freakin slow. From opening up applications to scrolling to opening up web pages. OH and especially, any sort of streaming video. I went as far as to wipe out my system and reinstall OS X(complete). That did help a little but not much. The only thing I can think of is that over time, all the updates to the system have slow things down(intentionally, hmmm...). As far as my internet connection being slow, I have my Windows machine using the same router and it's WAY faster in comparison. Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks.

~e

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

What RPM hard drive do you have and is it almost full?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What OS version, what (if any) programs are always running in the background?

I have an iBook G4/800/640 that I'm still quite happy with in Tiger. My top three Tiger culprits:

1) HD free space < 20% of total capacity
    2) Dashboard widgets (I recommend just using the disable dashboard utility)
    3) Tiger's Mail.app is a resource hog if there's a lot of mail (about 2 gigs for me) in it (EDIT: to clarify, my decision was to stop using mail.app on my iBook -- I use it on my iMac and only use web-based e-mail on my iBook).

If you're not on Tiger, obviously we'll need a different list. ;)

4. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

yeah see how much space you have left on your HD. i only have 48gb free space and so far so good.