Mac SMB Shares w/ WHS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blurobot, May 28, 2009.

1. blurobot macrumors member

hey all.

I have a weird problem with my macs. All 3 of them can access the Windows home server shares via SMB. But sometimes when I drop a file there, it transfer and then when it's done it dissapear! Worst, other time I add a file via windows (vm ware) and the server and windows xp can see the files but the macs can't?!?! Even a finder refresh from a small app doesn't help. Logging out and back in allows me to see the files correctly (but doesn't solve the dissapearing files as they dont seem to be on the server at all).

Is this a known issue? When I drag and drop my stuff via VMWARE/XP it works fine but from the finder I get all sorts of weird stuff. Surely it's not a server bug else windows xp would have problems too? It's never done this before on my old whs but now this...

any ideas?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

Are your folders set up for sharing (the window folders)? That is probably why the macs' can't see the info. I had the same problem when sharing files from my MBP to my girlfriends' windows machine...

3. blurobot thread starter macrumors member

the shares are standard WHS shares. I (kinda) fixed my problem by installing a trial version of DAVE. It shows there's some huge problems with OS X's build in smb support cause dave works wonderfully as does my windows VM. os x's sharing really sucks :( I hope apple fixes it in snow leopard but I have my doubts. something this basic should work in the "world's most advanced os"

anyway if anyone has the same problem download dave and see if it helps..