Mac Snow Leopard VPN works Internally not Externally

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by xfiring, Aug 27, 2010.

1. xfiring macrumors member

I have setup iVPN to enable the VPN in Snow Leopard. I have successfully connected via PPTP internally, however, I can not connect externally.

I have done the following:

Setup my U-Verse router to port forward 1723 to the Mac Mini running the VPN server.

I have a static IP address so when I setup the client I point the server address to the static IP and it should be forwarded to the mini.

I have additional port forwards setup for 5900 (ARD) and Air Video which work fine.

There is no firewall enabled on the Mac Mini. Help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

For PPTP, you also need GRE, which is IP protocol 47.

3. xfiring thread starter macrumors member

I also forwarded TCP port 47 to the mac mini running the VPN, but still can't connect, any other ports I am missing?

Thanks

4. belvdr macrumors 603

GRE is not a TCP port. It's IP protocol 47, not TCP 47. If the U-verse router cannot forward GRE, then you may need to place your Mini in the DMZ, which opens all ports to it. At that point, you're going to want to run the firewall on the Mini as well.

5. xfiring thread starter macrumors member

What about L2TP, does that need the GRE or anything else besides the 3 UDP ports?

6. xfiring thread starter macrumors member

I am struggling here, just put my VPN mini in the DMZ and it still doesn't work. Will I have better luck bypass my AT&T Uverse router and using the Airport Extreme for this task?