Mac software help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by judasrising2209, Dec 9, 2009.

1. judasrising2209 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So I have 2 issues. My first one is that when I upgraded to Snow leopard, i cannot use safari. it says I have v4.0.1. and go to Apple store and download it though I'm a little confused and don't wanna mess this up. Also on my desktop I have a copy of the Applications folder and an Applications alias?? I tried putting just the app folder in the trash but then I can't open anything up. I usually just go through the finder and through Mac HD to find stuff for now as I'm new to Mac.

thanks for any tips

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Since you already have Safari, downloading and installing a newer version shouldn't mess anything up.

On the other issue, let's be clear. You have a "copy" and an "alias" of Applications on your "Desktop"?
    copy - in other words, there is another Applications folder elsewhere, and this "copy" has all the same things inside it? What is the path to the Applications folder you access by clicking on Applications in the sidebar of a Finder window?
    alias - This one has a small, curved, black arrow in the lower left corner of the icon? What is the path to the Applications folder you access by clicking on it?
    Desktop - I don't want to offend you, but some people new to Macs say Desktop when they mean Dock, and vice versa. Are you talking about the screen in the background, or the icons that pop up at the side or bottom of the screen?

With some clarifications, we should be able to move down a path toward a strategy for you.

3. judasrising2209 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both these folders are appearing on my desktop and not the dock. One is a copy like copy/paste and the other is an alias. What is the difference between the 2 and I'd like to get rid of one of them if possible.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I can't tell you the difference(s) between them. You'll have to open them side by side and compare.* If you do Get Info on the alias (highlight the icon, click Get Info button or Command-I) it will tell you what the original is, and where it's located. Make a note of that, just in case. It's always "safe" to delete an alias, since you can just make another one any time.

*Same for the copy. But, why do you need a copy of the Applications folder on your Desktop?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also note that the Applications folder is originally located on the Macintosh HD.

[​IMG]

The Dock icon is only a placeholder/shortcut to the Applications folder, which if missing, can be dragged back to the Dock.

[​IMG]

Did anyone else use the Mac before you, or while you had it in your possession?

Normally there is no Applications folder or any alias of it on the Desktop on a fresh installation of Mac OS X.

The Desktop folder is located inside your user/home folder, which in itself is located in the Users folder.

See image below, where lucesumbrarum is my user folder.
    [​IMG]

Also the following might be of interest in getting to know Mac OS X: http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ and http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/