Mac Software impressions - first time user

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CristobalHuet, Sep 10, 2008.

1. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Alright, being with my Mac the last couple of weeks I can shed some thoughts on the programs I've used until now...feel free to disagree, and put in your own. :)

--

Microsoft Word 2008 4/5; previously using Office 2007 on Vista, I can safely say I like this version more. Firstly, the Ribbon interface, which was cool at first on 2007, is not present...a plus; the palettes can get annoying at times, as they don't remember which sections you had open in your last document. VB loss is not a biggie for me, being a student, I have everything I need in the program and some spiffy new themes. It takes some getting used to, but I just can't understand the flack this was getting from users. It doesn't offer very much beyond Word 2004, but it's a worthy upgrade, feels more stable, hasn't crashed on me once, and loads up within seconds.
    I havent used PowerPoint much at all, but first impressions are good..will be going with Keynote this year though.

VLC 5/5 - No complaints here, nothing much to be said other than I wouldn't be caught dead running QuickTime with this beast around.

Safari 3.5/5 - I use Safari, mainly because Firefox is more of a ressource hog and I didn't like Camino. Shame there aren't Firefox-like addons. A solid browser, best available on the Mac...Safari 4 will be great.

Adium 4/5 - TERRIFIC IM app, I'd recommend this more than iChat A/V due to the fact I refuse to run MSN for Mac. It supports many instant messaging accounts and is customizable, comes with Growl too and is easy on the eyes. Only downside is there's no video capabilities (at least from what I've seen) and no screen sharing, found in iChat.

Photoshop CS3 4.5/5 - Brilliant as usual, Adobe delivers again. Solid for the average image editor such as myself, I enjoy running it and really like the floating interface.

Transmission 1/5 - Maybe it's just me, but I've always hated Transmission. Before on Linux, and now giving it a chance on OS X, it's just as bad. There is no way to do select downloading, set a limit for upload bandwidth individually on torrents. I hate the interface too, it's confusing. Maybe I just miss uTorrent.

BitRocket 3.5/5 - Have had it only for a few days, thus the rating, and must say, it's the closest I've used to uTorrent on a Mac. Does most of what it offers on Windows, have had some freezing issues and lock ups occasionally after editing bandwidth limits, but no biggie. Try it out!

Skype 4/5 - Still love it, use it now more since I switched over to Adium. Only problem is connection issues once in a while, other than that, everything's smooth, depending on your wi-fi of course. ;)

Front Row 4/5 - LOVE this. Been using for viewing iTunes TV shows and on occasion picture galleries, does everything perfectly, can play podcasts, movies and music too. One huge disappointment is that I don't think you can upload content not in iTunes for media, and other than m4v/mp4 format.

iMovie 3/5 - I expected a little more to be honest. A capable video editor, but the transitions offered aren't always exciting, and cutting clips can be a pain. Might try Final Cut Express...

Photo Booth 3.5/5 - This would have gotten a 5 if not for my inability to get those damn backdrops working correctly. Always a joy to use, and play around with when you just wanna show off to friends. :p

PaintBrush 3.5/5 - I missed Paint, and went out and got this. It's by no means a total replacement for my beloved Windows program, it offers some very basic tools, more options would be nicer.

iTunes 8 4.5/5 - Grid View is a great addon, so is the Genius Playlist. Both still need some work, as there are buggs, especially in Grid View. Time for a new interface IMO, otherwise, this is a no-brainer.

CandyBar - 4/5 - I like changing my app icons (love the CS3 icon look), and this program does that and more. A must buy for customization freaks, however, sometimes icons don't change and require restart.

Tofu 4/5- Very cool app for reading stories, I only wished they'd incorporate a zoom in/zoom out function with the Mighty Mouse.

AppFresh 5/5 - Wow, just wow. A MUST download for anyone that wishes to keep everything up to date. Sometimes requires manual download direction, works flawlessly, a terrific way to stay fresh. :p

That's all I can think of for now. :)

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Onyx, The Unarchiver, and Bean are all five-star apps in my book. I agree with your list pretty much all the way.

3. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Transmission has both of those features you mention, unless I am misunderstanding.

As soon as you open a torrent, a window appears with a list of all the files/folders and checkboxes next to each one. Checking/unchecking each determines what will be downloaded.

Clicking the gear icon that appears as you hover over the image of the torrent file in Transmission will allow you to set upload/download speeds for that particular torrent.

4. CristobalHuet thread starter macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

That is quite the opposite of which I had come to use. I'll give it another go soon, but I like BitRocket. :)

drummerboy: Onyx looks really cool, and I did forget to mention the Unarchiver, great app.

5. VoR macrumors 6502a

You could try 'xbmc for mac' instead of front row/vlc - After much experimenting, I think it's by far the best media center about.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I used to hold the same opinion, but with Perian and Flip4Mac installed, I find QT Player to be far superior to VLC. VLC is still needed for more obscure formats though.

Fair assessment. Safari is perfect but for the lack of an official addon system, something that every browser should have (same problem with Google's Chrome). However with Inquisitor and SafariBlock installed, it comes close. Only feature I want is the "Awesome bar" (is that what they called it?) from Firefox 3.

I'm curious what took that 0.5 stars off. :) I find the versions for each platform functionally identical besides the basic differences in Windows and Mac OS UI design (I hate how the Windows version is forced into a single window - this destroys my workflow. I know the CS4 version is going to bring this to Mac too :( optionally at least...).

Both those features exist and I would say are more elegantly implemented in Transmission than uTorrent or Azureus (just like the rest of Transmission's UI).