Mac Sooooo SLOW.. PlEaSe ClEaN

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saladiro, Mar 4, 2018.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi, my Mac is about 5yrs old, runs well but i kinda think after doing no form of maintenance at all, now is the time.

Can any of you recommend a program that can sweep my hard drive and clear it of junk? Also, prob need to get rid of the mal ware and spy wear?

recommendations?

thanks in advance

P.S. .. trying to avoid costly apps and monthly payments type deals

Ron

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

What model do you have? What OS are you running? What spec?

If you’re still running an older stock model then the HDD is likely failing, or just runs plain slow on the latest OS. An SSD is always a good option.

3. Apple fanboy, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018

Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I've got a similar aged machine and it still runs okay. I don't do any maintenance as MacOS isn't windows. Is there still plenty of room on your hardrive? What model is it? How much RAM etc.

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Malware byte. Download OnyX from Titanium Software and run it. Other than that the specs as others have stated

5. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

Siera 10.13.3

see attached pics?

am i living in the stone age?..haha

Attached Files:

6. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

If it runs okay, I don’t see the need to trying to do anything. MacOS is very good at self maintenance. Are you experiencing slow downs? Clicking noises from the back area? These are usually the indications of a failing Traditional Hard Drive.
    As for malware, it is very rare that I see Mac users actually get malware (without accidentally getting it). You can try using MalwareBytes to scan your Mac.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

So I have the same machine. A late 2012 iMac. Mines not a i7, but other than it has 16 go of RAM and a 1TB fusion drive.

Other than the odd beach ball when doing lots of photo editing that usually only lasts a second or two, it runs fine.
    I stopped upgrading at El Capitan though.

I'm expecting to upgrade at some point in the next 12 months but I'm just waiting to see what happens in the desktop line as I don't really want another iMac.