Mac SOS....somebody help, trouble installing lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nawizo, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Nawizo macrumors member

Hai, so yesterday I decided to update my Mac OS from 10.6.7 to 10.7(lion). I had the downloaded setup on my desktop and I clicked it to install and went through the motions of entering my password then it said it hard to restart to continue. So it restarts in setup mode and I click install and choose my hard disk and it starts saying 36mins to go....the progress bar doesn't move and eventually it tells me it cannot install because my harddisk is damaged and cannot be repaired. I tried using disk utility to repair the disk and it says "incorrect number of thread records". I tried erasing the disk it says it cannot be unmounted. So then I tried to startup up using 10.6.7 on the disk and it says not enough information to start up. I am at wits end right now. What to do what to do....

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

On what disk?

3. Nawizo thread starter macrumors member

The macintosh Hd tht previously had snow leopard. Interesting, i just found out this is a common problem when tryin to upgrade. I opend my harddrive and formatted my disk from pc as ntfs then as mac journelled on another mac. So what do i do now

4. Nawizo thread starter macrumors member

It just flashes a folder when i restart. I have no backup, i am screwed, what do i do

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So, now you have a blank drive, right? Install snow leopard off the DVD.

6. no3tic888 macrumors member

Re-install Snow Leopard as an archive install. Backup your data and then install Lion. This is provided that all your data is still intact.

7. Detrius macrumors 68000

If you formatted the drive on a PC, then the partition table will be in MBR format. You'll need to make sure the partition table gets rewritten as GUID/GPT before you try to put an OS on it.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

you are screwed for all your data, only thing you can do now is reinstall snow leopard, then redownload lion (this time I would burn a bootable dvd of it in case something goes wrong again) and then format the drive and reinstall lion from scratch using the dvd. If this doesn't work maybe your hard drive did take the most inopportune time to go and you may need to replace it