Mac Sounds?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, May 17, 2007.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

Hi guys, great forum. I put off joining because I don't like being one of those people who pop into a place just to ask stupid questions, but I figure I can use this forum, so here I am, my first post.
    Basically I'm a little concerned because I have a MacBook, I've had it for a couple weeks and if sometimes if I'm not using it, or occasionally even if I am, I'll hear little noises. So far, when NOT using the Mac (it's sitting idle beside me, say), I'll hear the "Funk" noise. You can hear what I mean by going into System Preferences/Sounds/Sound Effects and clicking on the one that's called "funk". The times I've heard it, i figure maybe I have an error message or one of the programs I have open is trying to tell me something, but I never see any indication as to why it's happening.
    The other sound I heard, and this is while using it, sounded sort of like the "pop" noise.
    Is there a reason I'm hearing these? I can't figure it out.
    Thanks!
    Kris

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I think you need to first narrow down whether the sounds are resulting from finder processes or from downstream applications. To isolate the specific causes, you can hide applications one by one (rather than having to quit(command-h)) when your coputer is set aside and see if the "funk" stops .

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think hiding the apps will necessarily stop the noises, but quitting them one by one will hopefully narrow down to where your problem is. You might find this thread interesting, albeit there's no real solution yet. :eek:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

"Glass" might be that other noise.

Mail has its own "New Mail Noise" as well. If you're using Growl you'll here your alert sound much more often as well.

Don't forget about iChat and AdiumX.

5. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

thanks. at least i'm not the only one.
    it's probably something to do with MSN.