Mac speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjg69, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Mjg69 macrumors newbie

Mjg69

so I just ordered a new mac21 retina..I like to play music and watch videos on a computer...what's the sound like? What's everyone using for speakers? I will be storing my extensive music library on the new computer and would like some decent sound..thoughts?

2. howiest macrumors regular

howiest

If you want decent sound for music listening, get yourself a 2.1 (subwoofer & 2 satellites) external system. There's tons of choices out there in a wide range of prices. Yamaha alone makes several.

Even a fairly low priced setup will be better than the internal speakers on an iMac, especially at higher volumes.

3. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i'm old school, still running the old Logitech Z-4 for my desktop setup, they pack alot of sound for a 2.1 system. i'm behind the times with all the new lines/brands that are currently out. demo the ones at your local Best Buy and see what you like, then shop around as you can prob find them cheaper online.

4. Uffish Thought macrumors member

5. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I've got a relatively expensive setup (compared to PC speakers) with an HD AVR and some shelf speakers wired to it. Sound quality is spectacular and well beyond anything I've heard out of a PC speaker. It also set me back about $400 though.

I was really tempted by the Harmon Kardon soundsticks as they would look lovely next to a Mac but the audiophiles I was getting help from when I picked out my gear won me over and I'm glad I spent the extra money and effort to get a wired setup.

6. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I purchased the Bose Companion 2 Series III for my 27" iMac and I have enjoyed them, though the lack of subwoofer is starting to become more obvious. Within a few months I'm most likely going to upgrade to the Soundsticks as they are beautiful and sound great.

7. JAT macrumors 603

8. jlehman macrumors member

Really depends on your music selection. Since you say extensive i would assume broad as well. If you have alot of music that is bass heavy you may want a subwoofer. I would personally try to stay away from having a woofer, it might not add too much "clutter" but if you are a music guy i think its better to stick with a 2.0 system that just has really good bass response than throwing in a crappy 2.1 system. But that's a personal preference.

I've personally been around alot of speaker systems growing up (dad is tiny bit audiophile) and i've had my fair share of PC 2.1 systems. Even the Klipsch as good a value as they are seriously lack a good stereo image but they do make up for it in bass.

The 2.0s i'd seriously consider:
    Bose Companion 20
    Audio Engine A2+

A good value with a sub would be:
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX
    Or Maybe some Creative (maybe better imaging) or Logitech (usually louder and have more bass) system.

Take a drive to Best Buy they have the Bose Companion 20s and Klipsch ProMedia's there to play with. For your first decent simple speaker systems I would look into them.

9. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre