MAC Speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FMINUS, May 23, 2008.

1. FMINUS macrumors newbie

I just bought a mac pro and it only has ONE jack? Does this mean that my MAC will not be able to use 5.1 speakers? :confused::confused::confused:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Analog 5.1 computer speakers require the FireWave. The price was dropped recently for $29.99 as well.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's "Mac" not "MAC".
    The audio out port is both analogue stereo and digital optical (mini TOSlink) for digital 5.1 sound. Nevermind what I said, I was thinking of Apples other Macs. The Mac Pro has a separate digital optical TOSlink port.

4. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this the BEST option? You would think that a "MAC Pro" thats top of the line would come with something better than ONE jack?
    What does that mean? Sorry Im a newbie

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

There are a total of 3 dedicated ways to output audio (not including the built in speaker). There is the headphone jack on the front, the jack on the back, and the optical audio out. As well, you can go for firewire speakers. 5.1 is supported on most of these, just find the right plug.

Yes, it should work.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you really should of done more research before buying a Mac Pro to work with your 5.1 setup.

the Mac Pro has an analogue audio in and out port which is also digital. it also has optical audio in and out ports for TOSLINK optical cables which is digital only.

to use 5.1 you would have to listen to audio thats encoded in Dolby Digital (i.e. DVDs using Apple's DVD player) and then connect your speakers using an optical cable to the Mac Pro or connect your speakers to a 5.1 receiver (firewire USB or just a HiFi receiver) and then run an optical cable from the receiver to the Mac Pro to listen to audio in 5.1 that isnt encoded in Dolby Digital (i.e. iTunes, web audio, games).

i think this is right peoples? i dont have a 5.1 setup right now but ive been researching it.

7. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

I would bought the Mac Pro regardless, if its not compatible, Ill just use them on my PC or even dump them.

8. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I need to buy anything else besides the speakers itself to make it work?

9. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

and also which speaker system would you all recommend? thanks in advance! :p

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok. the Mac Pro is a real powerhouse workstation… youll love it :)

anyone know if this is correct? i still havent got my head arround 5.1

11. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

12. echoout macrumors 6502a

Most audio and video professionals have a separate I/O for interfacing with professional-grade hardware. Notice the MacPro, used by film and broadcast professionals around the world, also does not have BNC/YUV/XLR/HDMI/etc. outputs required by most decks, monitors and cameras. That doesn't make the computer unprofessional. Watching DVDs on the computer isn't necessarily a "professional" activity. ;)

13. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

that makes a lot of sense! So any thoughts the the 5500?

14. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Bought one last month – great system for the price.

15. FMINUS thread starter macrumors newbie

It works of the opti cable right? Does it come with one?