Mac Specs

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by hughvane, Sep 6, 2008.

1. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I've been a multiple Mac forum user for months and bow to the experience and knowledge of those who know their way around Macs, the MacOS and the general Apple scene better than I do.

I would like to suggest however that membership of a Mac forum include the compulsory requirement that a member's Mac specs and MacOS version be included with their forum name. It is difficult to help someone when the problem is related to a specific model of Mac, or a MacOS version, but that information is not provided.

It's a simple enough process to include Mac Specs and to alter that information via the User CP should the user upgrade either their hardware or OS.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's never been mandatory, but filling in your primary hardware and/or software specs can help other members help you with technical issues. Specs down to the last detail (e.g., display size, hard disk size) typically aren't nearly as important as identifying the Mac model, but you can decide how much to include up to the permitted size.

For those who choose to fill in this information, you can put up to 100 characters in the "Computer(s)" field on your Edit Profile page.

If you prefer to put a summary of specs in your signature, please keep it small. In particular, use a single long line, e.g.,
    Aluminum iMac 2.8 GHz (Leopard, Final Cut Studio 2); iPod nano; iPhone​
    rather than using a vertical list that makes people scroll more than necessary when reading forum pages.

3. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I have done this since I joined. It does not have to be mandatory, but for diagnostics of a problem it sure helps to list OS version, Model, CPU, HD, RAM, Video Card, type of connection, additional items such as HD upgrades, adding HDs, PCI slots additional cards and type of network. It makes life easier if I can have has much info as possible to diagnose problems.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, when does knowing RAM and hard disk space help with problem solving? People with more RAM may rightfully expect better performance, but is there more to it than that?

The hard disk type might make a difference, but I'm puzzled why people list their storage capacity. The only number that I've found matters in troubleshooting is the amount of freespace, and only if it's dangerously low.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'd be cool if there was a tag similar to the "embedguide" tag that would let you quick post the current Mac's specifications into a post without having to hunt it down.

Edit: I realize you could just embed the guide for that Mac but where's the fun in that? :rolleyes:

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Some people like to brag.:)

7. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

That should never be a required a rule for membership. What you have in your home or your office is your personal business. That might even scare away possible new members as not every one feels comfortable, with letting the general public, know what they have in their homes.