Mac speech recognition doesn't like to tell jokes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bjett92, Dec 29, 2007.

1. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

So I was in the mood for a joke the other day, and I decided to let my Mac tell me one. Anyways, I got this far in the dialog:

Me: tell me a joke
    Mac: knock, knock
    Me: whos there
    Mac: blah blah
    Me: blah blah who

Then thats it, the mac refuses to tell me the punch line, however every other command works perfectly. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Which app were you using? I tried it in Text Edit and it worked fine.

3. bjett92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using Mac OS X's built in speech recognition for voice commands. It's in the system prefs under "Speech"

4. Lexi macrumors newbie

Lexi

hey, at least you get that far. I don't get past 'Knock Knock'...if i'm lucky.
    Is it just me, or does the speech recognition not work very well? The only kind of successful command for me so far is 'tell me the time' or 'listen continuously', and even then, i have to repeat the command a few times before it picks up on it.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've tried adjusting all of the settings, re-calibrating it..nothing seems to be working. Also, it *never* works when I set it to listen continuously. Any ideas?

5. DaWarrior180 macrumors newbie

Is That You Got To Put Expression Wen You Say Blah Blah Who....Like If Some1 is Actually telling you a knock knock joke. It Workd Like Dat 4 me.

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The built-in microphones are not good for voice recognition. You'll likely have better luck with a headset.

Lurn 2 rite. It iznt rokit scienz.

7. iMacGyver macrumors newbie

"The built-in microphones are not good for voice recognition. You'll likely have better luck with a headset."

I beg to differ. I've just tried a headset, and that doesn't work either. If anything, I'm getting a laugh out of this. The joke is, I'm not going to tell you one. Lol. :rolleyes: