Mac speed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by renodude18, Nov 26, 2013.

1. renodude18 macrumors newbie

renodude18

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to mac as I've had my mid 2012 macbook pro since early september. I really like it but having had it for a few months I'm beginning to question it a little bit. I've had one other mac before and that was an iBook several years ago and I took it back due to battery issues as well as software incompatibilities at the time. But lately I've noticed my mac getting a little slow. Here are the specs:

Macbook pro 9,1
    Core i7 2.6Ghz quad core
    8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
    Nvidia Geforce GT 650M 1GB
    Mavricks 10.9
    750GB 5400RPM hard drive.

Nothing to special but considering my two PCs that this replaced were spec'd:

Dell Inspiron 15R (2011)
    Intel core i5 2.6GHZ with turbo 3.3GHZ
    intel hd 3000 graphics
    6GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    640GB 5400RPM HDD
    windows 8 (upgraded from 7)

Gateway dx4200-09
    And phenom 1.8GHZ quad core
    4GB DDR2
    640GB SATA 2 7200RPM HDD
    Nvidia geforce GT 650 2GB
    Windows 7

Now both of those systems aren't particularly high performance but they got the job done aside from windows 8 being a bad mistake on the desktop in such I had to reinstall windows 7.

In the past few months I've noticed my mac becoming slow for some reason. I don't use it much except for school work and light gaming. By light gaming I mean I rarely use it for gaming except when I'm tired of console gaming or decide to play the sims 3, CIV 4-5, L.O.L, Diablo III or sim city. As far as those games go the only one I can't play on my mac is Sims 3 as it runs far too slow on the mac side for some reason. The rest run fine. But where I've noticed the slow down is when it starts, doing animations such as minimizing windows to the dock, opening finder windows or just small tasks I do for my online school.

Is this normal, has anyone else noticed their macs slow down, Is it Mavericks?

When I purchased this I knew it wasn't going to be crazy fast compared to the retina due to no SSD and a few other things but I needed an optical drive that I didn't need to carry around with the laptop but inside. I figured that since it was a core i7 it would be faster than my core i5 which also at times is slow on my windows pc but I blame windows for that. I also figured the Graphics would be better as this system is supposed to have a dedicated graphics card like my desktop. Weirdly enough my windows desktop is faster than both my laptops at times. I'm assuming its the hard drive or something else.

What do you guys think?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It seems that you need to contact the developer of Sims 3 if you are having issue with their software.