Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hi,

Quick question. I'm a new Mac user. I love it and rarely look back to Windows but I have one question that is getting to me.

Back when using things like MS Office and Outlook Express any time I wrote any text, whichever program I was using would auto detect the language I was witting in and any grammar, accents or spelling suggestions would be accessible and selectable with a simple right click. Same goes for thesaurus, synonyms etc.

With mac, you have to select the text and change the language via the Edit menu every time you switch languages. Even when you do so, many times half the text is underlined with green for no apparent reason, not all grammar errors are picked up and there are no synonyms available.

I switch regularly between English and Spanish and in Windows I just had to write a few words, the machine would auto detect the language and any and all options would be quickly accessed with a right click. On the Mac its a nightmare.

So am I doing something wrong? Or is it something that Apple REALLY needs to improve on?

Thanks in advance.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I think that you have to change the system language to switch between languages. However, Microsoft products on OS X use their own dictionaries. So I think you would have to change the system language in the system preferences and you would have to change the Office app's language you're using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.