MAC spoofing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xbuster116, Jan 14, 2012.

1. xbuster116, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

xbuster116 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I have a samsung smart TV that I want to be able to connect to my network. The problem is that my ISP requires you accept a their rules in a browser window before you can start using any internet applications from a new machine, but there is no browser on the tv. I have contacted them but they are frustratingly slow. I am sort of new to this kind of thing, but I was reading up on MAC spoofing, and I was wondering if it would be possible to impersonate the tv so that I can open a browser and accept their terms.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but any info is appreciated.

thanks

2. wackymacky, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Umm, Your ISP? Who is your ISP that does that? And why are they assigning an IP address to each device.

What sort of router are you using? Couldn't you just set your router to act as an NAT and hence your router will control devices and traffic?

P.S Spoofing a MAC address is usually done to connect a device to a wireless network that otherwise could not because the network is restricted to specified devices, and hence you fool the wireless host that the client is one authorized to connect

3. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I'd just have your router spoof / impersonate the mac address that you have registered with your ISP.

All other devices inside the network don't need to be registered with the ISP.

We have Telus internet here and they only allow 1 or 2 mac addresses, and the registration / deregistration is confusing, tedious, and the website address and interface often changes... so I feel for you.

and the other answer is on your mac:

Code:
    $ sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:11:22:33:44:55      // Ethernet
    $ sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF     // Airport