Mac sreen of Death/Kernal Panic

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by codman1004, Mar 21, 2011.

1. codman1004 macrumors member

I have a Ibook G4 that on restarts has been giving me the 'you must restart your computer'. When I put the disk(10.4.11) It gives me werid Linux/unix commands that says that we are hanging in there. I have looked online but it sound like there are many kernal panice out there so I don't know which one is correct. Im a do it yourself but when I called apple they told me to bring it in. Any Idea(Preferably Fix)

Thanks

2. codman1004 thread starter macrumors member

3. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Post your panic log.

Cheers

4. hansolo669 macrumors regular

that sounds suspiciously like a dyeing motherboard. now im not 100% but thats what it seems like.
    what model is the ibook?
    have you noticed any graphical wiredness?
    is it the orginal HDD and disk drive?
    have you added any ram?
    have you zapped the pram?

5. codman1004, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011

codman1004 thread starter macrumors member

Im apart of the school tech team. This has been happening on all white no camera macs and desktops, but today I was sitting in class and a black 10.5 mac did the same thing. Is it a virus? Or manufacture error??:mad:

Ibook g5 and lower all of them have been doing
    White IMcas no camera
    and Today one black desktop Mac osx 10.5 did this

What is it

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) There is no iBook G5. Im assuming you mean either iMac G5 or iBook G4 - which?
    2) Not a virus. Not manufacturer "error". Something you/ your tech team/ your students has done causes them in general, or the hardware is ridiculously old - "White iMacs, no Camera" Im assuming are iMac G5s (Although G3s and G4s meet that too). Those are elderly and are bound to develop some faults now they are at least 7 years old (Since iSight came in in about 2004-5).
    3) "One Black Desktop" <- What on earth is that. Do you mean an Aluminium iMac, or a Hackintosh, or what? We cant help without knowing what hardware your having these issues with, and what causes them to have these issues (ie we need crash logs, and if doing something "triggers" these faults).

7. codman1004 thread starter macrumors member

Ok they are the White Imacs with no camera
    then there are the white laptops from the G5's and lower all of them have been doing that.
    Nobody has screwed with them. They have sat in the old computer lab with little use except for the laptops.

And we have had 1 yes 1 I say black Imac I don't know what kind it is its not the newest one but it runs Lepord(10.5)

8. codman1004 thread starter macrumors member

Also I'm not doing anything to trigger these they just do it when your in word or safari of power point or anyother program it also does it on logins and logouts.

9. codman1004 thread starter macrumors member

I havent done/ seen any of these
    except pram I tried it but it didn't work

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

There were no G5 laptops!!

Anywho, I think you also mean an Alu, Intel iMac of some sort, the kind with a black bezel around the screen? If you're part of any "tech team," it's important to get facts right.

If they are just classroom or lab machines, mind as well erase and install OS X. I re-image my labs once a week regardless if there's issues or not.

11. In-Correct macrumors member

Confusing:

you said you can't reinstall:
    Is it possible that you have a bad OS X install disc???? :confused: It could either be a damaged OS X install disc, or it could be a model specific disc....

There aren't any ibook G5 and powerbook G5. The :apple: G5 product line was a very short lived release.

Your descriptions of your computers are very confusing. :confused: "white with no camera" is not very helpful. As for imacs...they at one time have complete redesigns. The G3s have transparent colorful cases with CRT monitors in them. The G4 imacs have LCD monitors and almost look like a desk lamp. Somebody also has described the base of a G4 imac as a "bowling ball cut in half". The G5s and intel imacs look like regular LCD monitors.

Could you look at how your computers are shaped, and then describe them better?

It could also be possible that these computers have hardware problems, something installed In-Correctly, corrupted hard drives that have either physical or directory damage, or hard drives with low disk space. ....as described in the links that were provided to you.