Mac Startup Chime & Changing User Short Name

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nghix123, Aug 3, 2011.

1. nghix123 macrumors newbie

I'm having such a difficult time trying to find a solution to shut off the start-up Chime. I tried searching everywhere for this solution but failed. I downloaded the StartupSoundPrefPane.dmg and still doesn't work. I got it to work awhile back when I was still on OSX 10.6.8. Is there any other way to shut this chime off permanently? I'm currently using OSX Lion.

I recently had a SSD installed in my 2011 iMac and the gentlement who helped me install the drive was nice enough to install the OS as well but for the name he used I would prefer to have my own.

Please HELP.. :(

-Mike

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not compatible with Lion.
    Just mute your audio before restarting.

3. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Have you tried:
    System settings>Users &Groups>edit the user name....?

Or you could just create a new user with the name of your choice.

I too am awaiting Lion compatibility for StartupSoundPrefPane.

4. Newfiebill macrumors regular

Newfiebill

Hi,

I just changed my Home Folder (short name) as I migrated to a new 27" iMac, but it can be done anytime, (as I understand). Go to "Users" and create a new (Admin) account. After doing that use Migration Assiant to migrate your user/files/settings from your old account to the new account, you should "check" move current to deleted users folder in case you need to go back. Make sure you have a good Time Machine Back Up and I also do a monthly drive Clone using "Carbon Copy Cloner".

5. nghix123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback guys. i'll try out some of the suggestions to change my short-name.

For those that uses external speakers like I do, I got my "chime" to not go off and I don't have to put my system on "mute" every time I'm about to shutdown or restart.

For example I'm using Bose external speakers.

System Preferences > Sounds > Sound Effects Tab >

Where it says sound effects through: I muted internal, display and even the bose audio devices. See if this works for you guys.

6. informatics411 macrumors newbie

Mac Startup Chime

My only success with muting the Startup chime has come by using MacPilot. I tried the other software listed here with inconsistent results on an older Mac (10.4). I've used MacPilot for years and other Koingo Software products: great stuff, always works as they say. Startup chime: muted.

http://www.koingosw.com/products/macpilot.php