Mac Startup Script

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by were.pants01, Jan 29, 2011.

1. were.pants01 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Running Snow Leopard 10.6, how would I go about making a startup script to bring up a message the first time that a new account is created?

I currently work for a school district and would like the students to have to read the terms and conditions and accept them when they login to any macbook for the first time.

If this is possible, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Google loginhook. I added "acceptable use policy" for some examples.

B

3. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I'd say make them agree every login on every computer. I have to when I log in to my company VPN. If student B guesses student A's password on a computer student A has used before, no notice. It would be a hard sell, but student B can claim to not know what the policy is after violating it as student A. Make them agree every time, and forbid using another student's account for any reason.

-Lee

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

We similarly have the terms and conditions display on every login. I don't think any of our students actually reads them, even the law students, but they haven't got a loop hole. If it was displayed only once I could well imagine one of them would argue that they couldn't be expected to remember the fine points of what they'd agreed to 3 months, or even 3 years, ago.

5. subsonix macrumors 68040

Why not just have them sign a paper document with the terms and conditions before any accounts are given out. That way there really is no loophole, and no need for unnecessary nag.

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Because people that "accidentally" access a machine didn't sign the paper to get the account. They probably don't care about your terms, but it can't hurt to know that everyone that accesses a system agrees to the terms so there's no "I didn't know I wasn't allowed to X, looked like a public terminal to me".

-Lee

7. subsonix macrumors 68040

You mean if someone gets hold of the login information? The question then is how you will identify this user as "not the legitimate user".