Mac Startup Shortcut keys not working?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sebf, Mar 24, 2008.

1. sebf macrumors member

After hearing the Mac startup tone normally if you hold down C it will boot from the Mac Install/Recovery disc or if you press cmd+option+P+R it will reset the PRAM or cmd+option+V should show the unix style boot up sequence.

None of these shortcuts seem to be working on my Mac and it boots straight into Mac OS 10.5, any ideas why there not working and how I can get these startup shortcuts working again?

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Are you using wireless? I've seen issue's where bluetooth keyboards wont give commands until OS X is fully loaded.

Dispensing that, are you using an Apple keyboard?

3. sebf thread starter macrumors member

I am using the latest wired Apple Flat keyboard, I did also try unplugging everything apart from my monitor and keyboard but that didn't work either.

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

I know that there is a firmware update for the keyboard, so no harm in trying that.

Other than that, Im kinda stumped. Rather than waiting for the chime, just try pressing the left ALT immediately on pressing the Power button. Keep it help, hopefully you should see start up manager.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Other posters have said they had Apple keyboard that didn't work for boot-keys, but did work in the OS. Try any other USB keyboard if you can. Also, make sure the keyboard is plugged right in to the computer, no hubs, no monitors.

6. tonyweis macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same issue. Tried a two wired keyboards directly connected to the system and I am still unable to get the boot keys to work. Any ideas?

7. mr.tolgao macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. When I pressed the "C" button while I was booting my MacBook Pro, it kept booting into Mac OS X all the time. But I could see the Installer on my desktop. When I restarted MAC OS X Installer DVD from desktop, I chosed utilities and over there there was Firmware Password utility, in that utility I erased Firmware Password and after that I had no more problem with startup shortcuts. Hope this helps.

Tolga

8. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I had this issue on my 2006 iMac (which has since died completely). I found that the USB Apple aluminum keyboard would not activate the boot options. I knew the iMac was dying, so I thought that maybe the USB ports were going wonky. A passing comment at the Apple Genius Bar - "that's the wrong keyboard" prompted me to try the old Apple BT keyboard that came with the iMac (The big white plastic one). I put in new batteries and tried booting the iMac again. Amazing! All of the boot-up options worked! I was able to get the system to start-up in Target Disc mode so that I could wipe the hard drive.