Mac steals hostnames on one of the networks I use

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rolferik, May 10, 2010.

1. rolferik macrumors newbie

Both my new MBP and 4 years old MB (both running snow leopard) steals other computers hostname every time I connect to the network at work. I use both on 5 different networks at different places and it only happens on one of the networks. They steal a different hostname every time I connect.

I found this out by checking terminal, after they discovered that someone got disconnected every time I where there. I am the only mac user using the network and it is a windows-based network with a domain attached that windows users log into.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

"hostname"???? Do you mean the IP address? Then someone isn't following the DHCP rules.

There's no way to steal the hostname.

3. rolferik thread starter macrumors newbie

There should be no way to steal the hostname, but when I type "hostname" in terminal I get another hostname in return. The hostname displayed first at every line in terminal is not mine, but the same as "hostname" returns.

I since the other computer is cut off I think it does steal IP addresses also..but I am not totally sure..

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

This doesn't sound like an issue with your system. It sounds more like either your DHCP server is handing out addresses with active leases and/or the lease on the other systems expired and they didn't renew it. Either that or your DNS is confused about what hostname you IP maps to.

5. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

No, I'm getting the same thing. I'm getting the host name of a system with a static IP address. I've released and renewed, and get the hostname of a different box...odd...

6. rolferik thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the lack of answere.(I have been sailing = no internet connection)

I found out that when I connect to wifi I get a self-assigned ip-adress, but when I use a ethernet cable I get someones IP and their hostname.

I told them that it most probably was some issue with dhcp servers. They told me to get a OS works(i think they meant windows). Then I told them that it was weird that their network is the only place that happens.

7. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck