Mac stolen from apple retail store

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tbasse1, Mar 14, 2010.

1. tbasse1 macrumors newbie

I'm new on here so I'm not sure if this is the correct place... anyway, I broke the screen on my mac and brought it to the apple retail store, where they gave me a receipt to pick it up. Two days later I went to pick it up and it had been picked up the day before, with a receipt identical to mine. It's pretty clear that it was stolen, because the receipt that was used had my information on it, so it is unlikely to be a mixup or anything. I've been busy today and haven't spoken with management, and they closed before I could call today.

My question is, what kind of remedies exist for these types of situations? I realize the best way to figure this out is to speak with the powers that be, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this happening or has any idea on apple's policy for stolen products. It seems like they at least owe me a new laptop...but that doesn't take care of the fact that every picture I have is on there, all my school docs, etc.

2. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I have never heard of such a situation. I am really sorry it happened to you. It sounds very strange, though. How did someone manage to get an identical receipt? Did anyone you know have access to your receipt and may have picked it up without your knowledge?
    Generally there are only two copies of the forms. Apple keeps one and gives one to the customer.
    I suggest you speak with the managers as soon as possible (tomorrow morning). Send an email to Steve Jobs if need be. Call corporate. Do what you have to do get reimbursed for your loss.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Did you get a receipt emailed to you? If so you may have a breach in your email account.

4. tbasse1 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what was interesting... the receipts were not emailed. I signed the store copy and returned it to them, and they handed me the other one, which I folded and put into my wallet. When I went to pick it up the signed copy was stapled to the receipt used to pick my computer up. That receipt was identical to the one in my hands except it was dated 3/11, the day before I arrived, and mine was dated 3/8, the day I dropped it off.

I briefly suggested that it looked to be an inside job, but the apple store workers will not admit that it was stolen... they still refer to it as a mixup or mistake. I gave them a couple days to sort it out but I'm calling first thing tomorrow. It's ridiculous that they haven't called me since Friday, the day it happened. Anyway, I'm going on a week without my mac, the first in 3 years, and having withdrawals so I appreciate the condolences.

5. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

Don't wait for them to contact to you. If you can not get to the store in the morning, make sure to call them right when they open up. The store does not need three days to get in touch with you.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

And why did you leave the store without finding out what they are going to do about it? To me this makes me think you're trying to scam them. "Oh, someone stole my laptop, that's OK, I'll come back when it is more convenient for you." instead of "WHAT?? I need that back, what is going on, I need the manager NOW."

Sorry, but in this case, NOT getting upset over it make me think that something else is going on here. I know I would NEVER have left the store without knowing EXACTLY what is going on.

Manager name, his phone number, the store information, copies of all receipts including the fakes, etc.

7. tbasse1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well they can feel free to think I am scamming them, I just want my computer back or something to replace it.

I probably should have reacted more strongly, but it's not really my personality. I could feel them bracing for my wrath, and I just didn't want to be that person who threw a fit. They'll figure it out, and I will be compensated. That's the bottom line... and I didn't need to lose my cool for that.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Don't lose your receipt, make another copy of it, and if they ask, give them the copy but don't give them the original. You might think that they are honest like you, and will do the right thing. But they could very well try to cover this up and blame it on you to save their own jobs.

You need to keep on them. You don't have your computer. It's not your fault... it is theirs... If this isn't resolved soon, don't be afraid to call Apple Corporate and go over their heads. That might be the only way to get this fixed.

9. clindner macrumors regular

Kudos to you! Although I'm thinking that would put just about anyone over the edge!

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

That is what I'm saying. But I don't think that you have to scream and yell and make a huge scene; but I wouldn't have left without someone (manager) taking on responsibility and I had documentation of what was going on.

11. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

Please keep us updated on this. I would really like to know how your Apple store handles this and what is said.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Exactly. By leaving they could claim that you picked it up and took it home and you have no way of proving otherwise.

13. tbasse1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks to all for the advice. Hopefully I will know the ultimate resolution tomorrow at some point, and will update ASAP (from a new computer perhaps?). I hope I haven't put too much faith in Apple's customer care... I just have to imagine they will make it right.