Mac store or other?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TouchMint.com, Jun 8, 2012.

1. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Wondering where you recommend buying a new iMac?

I bought my 13 mac pro from mac mall to save on tax and the price was a little cheaper too (however the rebates were a horrible process). Although I am in somewhat of a hurry to get the new machine (assuming there is a new one announced) I can wait a few weeks to save $200.

Anyone bought from amazon? I feel like they price match down to the lowest and usually have free shipping and no tax. It also seems like their apple care is a bit cheaper too?

Anyways id like to know what you guys think are the pros and cons of getting a mac from somewhere else besides the apple store.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Its the same product, regardless of where you buy it. Price is generally the same as well. Tax and possible rebates are pretty much the only differences.

3. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Retail stores and online distributors can sometimes have sales, promotions and discounts where Apple won't. You'll be stuck with the stock configs though.

Some of the smaller Mac shops run by Apple Certified Technicians will do after-market upgrades for cheaper than a BTO through Apple. Since they are officially Apple techs, it won't void AppleCare, especially if you take it back to them for the repairs.

This isn't universal though, I've checked with two shops about adding an aftermarket SSD to an iMac. One wouldn't touch it, the other was offering an OWC SSD and RAM at wholesale prices.

Payment may also be a benefit of going through someone other than Apple. Local shops or box stores might have their own financing, or are willing to accept personal cheques, multiple credit cards, PayPal, cash or other odd combinations.