Mac store sent me wrong MBP...got one with better specs

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
I ordered a refurb 13" MBP, 2.26, 2GB ram, 160GB hd... my on online receipt reflects this as does the packing list.

When I click on the apple and "about this mac" as well as window & "computer"...i see I have 4GB ram and 500GB hd.

Is it common to receive a refurb thats better than what you ordered?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's somewhat common to get a custom build to order machine when you order a refurbished model. You're just not going to get any less than what's advertised.

Consider it winning the lottery. :p

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
Lucky me then. Now I need to return the ram i ordered from amazon.

I'll have to get one of those external cases for the hd as I have an intel ssd on the way.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Awesome business practice.

This happened to me too. I ordered a 12" PowerBook G4, and got one loaded to the max with ram. It was an awesome surprise.

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
to check they cycles, go into the power tab in system profiler. For battery health, download the iStat Pro widget
Thanks...found system profiler. I have only charged this once so far...shows 9 cycles...not bad since its a refurb.

I didnt download istat or coconuts... but in profiler showed battery condition as normal.

Looks like i wasnt only lucky with the memory and hd, but with the low battery cycle too. Going to get that lottery ticket for sure! :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Seems you got the refurb silent upgrades luck draw. I've had this happen to me on several refurbs. In fact my prev early 08 MBP was a good example. I bought a stock 2.5GHz model and received a fully maxed out 2.6GHz model with 4GB of RAM and 200GB 7200 drive.

The previous owner of your machine must've BTO your system and returned it for Apple to resell

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
Seems you got the refurb silent upgrades luck draw. I've had this happen to me on several refurbs. In fact my prev early 08 MBP was a good example. I bought a stock 2.5GHz model and received a fully maxed out 2.6GHz model with 4GB of RAM and 200GB 7200 drive.

The previous owner of your machine must've BTO your system and returned it for Apple to resell
BTO? whats that mean?