Mac stuck at grey screen! Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caspersoong, Nov 12, 2012.

1. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I noticed a weird problem earlier. When using my MacBook pro with a new 3 month old ssd, and syncing the music from my Mac to my iPod, at first all the music synced fine. The next time I synced, only 11 songs got synced over. So I restarted my mac, hoping to fix the problem. To my horror, my Mac booted up, got to the fray apple logo screen with the spinning wheel, then there was a bar at the bottom of the screen. After it went away, everytime I try to boot, the spinning wheel comes up, disappears, then my mouse cursor appears but I cannot move it. I have repaired the volume, it's permissions, failed to enter safe boot. I tried to reset the pram but only went into the recovery partition. Could you all please help me?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Reinstall the OS and restore from a backup.

Which SSD are you using? Are there any firmware updates available?

3. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

My most recent backup is a few days old. I am using a crucial m4 ssd 256 Gb with no firmware updates available. My OS is 10.8.whatever is the most recent. Should I attempt to bring this to an Apple Store to retrieve my most recent data with target disk mode? Thanks!

4. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I can boot into my recovery disk on my SSD, does that mean that my disk is essentially still ok, only the data is corrupted?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

OSX should give you the option to reinstall the OS without deleting your data. I think a clean install would be a better solution, but since you don't have a current backup this may work.

Are you sure you have the most recent firmware for your Crucial M4? They released one at the end of September, version 010G I believe.

6. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep sorry it is not the most recent. Anyway thanks for your help! I reinstalled OS X and lost no data at all. However, there was a folder with files called damaged files, which I think should be the culprit. Will update the firmware ASAP. Thanks again!